Track focused geo settings

av4625

Paid Member
Hi!

I’m fitting coilovers (gaz gold) at the weekend and was wondering where to start with settings.
The car is used for sprints, so laptime is the objective lol
What ride height should I start with and were do you measure the ride height from?
Should I set the dampening adjustment to the middle to start with?
Also what camber and toe?
I will get shims from pure motorsport for the rear.

Thanks!

I have:
Front
3.5 degrees camber
1mm toe out
6 degrees of caster

Rear
2.5 degrees camber
2mm toe in

With the ride height you want a bike of rake front to back and corner weighting ideally. My Gaz Gold are set to 10 clicks from full hard.

Suspension setup:
- 0.15 degrees toe out each side
- 0.1 toe out rear each side (fixed really)
- -2.0 camber up front
- -1.5 camber rear
- Caster is stock at 5.8 degrees

Suspension setup is entirely down to the track, springrates, tires, etc. Best thing to do is start with everything on full soft, and do a few laps and play with the stiffness in increments. If the coilovers are single adjustment, then start soft, do 3 laps, come in and move up a few clicks. Repeat until you see your lap times level off. Minimize the variables you are changing, so limit the changes to one axle at a time, and dont play with tire pressures until you are happy with the setup. Once you find a middle ground, playing with the stiffness and tires will yield smaller changes aimed more at how you want the car to feel more than anything else.

Like @PITA said, you will want a bit of rake in the car. Lower front than rear will help with grip and turn in. That should be addressed when corner balancing the car when you get the new suspension in. I would start with a shallow rake and go from there over time, but I am more conservative in tuning. As my garage put it, Clio puts in the best lap times when the rear end is a passenger along for the ride, you want the car to basically have controllable oversteer to help it pivot as much as possible.

Attached here are the cup racer geo setup values which are where the values advised in this thread come from:

View attachment 145449

thanks!
Do you know where they measure the body height from? Wanted to get the height close before getting camber and toe done so that i wouldnt have to get it redone.

also do they run a much harder rear spring? Most coilover kits i have seen have a harder front spring!

This has come in helpful just fitted my gaz golds having it corner weighed tracking and set up tomorrow
any other things to consider as it for track only if I can stay on there

Yes m8 I don’t really understand how it all works but I’ll hopefully See at Anglesey Wednesday what would u recommend on adjusting soft and hard it’s in middle at moment all round

Be aware that the Cup Race cars were on slicks and could tolerate significantly more camber that a treaded tyre. Also the tyres were not on for very long. On the plus side the cars are not desperately powerful and don't have "VTech Yo" sudden dollops of power. You are also doing sprits which will keep tyre temps in check. Significant camber (and amounts of toe out) concentrates heat on the inner edge of the tyre on exit from corners and can lead to over heating. (Should not be an issue in your case) but be aware. Buying a tyre temp probe is the very best way to know what is going on.

My Gaz golds just arrived. Will be putting them in next weekend.

Think I have decided to go with -2.5-3 degrees camber on the front, about -2 or maybe a bit less on the rear.

Probably similar toe to the cup racer sheet above

Attachments

• Image from iOS (3).jpg
    Image from iOS (3).jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Beany
My Gaz golds just arrived. Will be putting them in next weekend.

Think I have decided to go with -2.5-3 degrees camber on the front, about -2 or maybe a bit less on the rear.

Probably similar toe to the cup racer sheet above
You know what shims you need ?