uprated clutch

anyone know if there are any uprated clutches about??
i am getting really ****py gear changes and have been told that either the pressure plate or the thrush bearing is on it way out, so in stead of putting a new standard clutch in i might as well put an uprated one in

Kevin tried to find one but no luck I believe you'd have to ask him!

May aswell wait for ktecs lightweight flywheel whilst your there though!

Kevin tried to find one but no luck I believe you'd have to ask him!

May aswell wait for ktecs lightweight flywheel whilst your there though!

i would but i dont think there is a huge amount of benifit from a lighten fly wheel and i dont know how much longer my clutch will last

i would but i dont think there is a huge amount of benifit from a lighten fly wheel and i dont know how much longer my clutch will last

Its an awkward one. The lighter the flywheel the more easier it is to rev. However you get to the point where torque starts to suffer (as it falls as easy as it rises) and drivability becomes a nightmare.

I cant openly comment on a Clio as im not upto speed. But MR2 owners could perhaps get away with 10-15% lighter and attain a more "spritely" rev response. Some quater cars dropped as much as 40%, great for blasting down the strip, but a pain in the bum on the roads.

cheers for that ND4SPD, i'm gonna give them a ring on monday!
anyone have a step by step guy on how to change the gear box oil

cheers for that ND4SPD, i'm gonna give them a ring on monday!
anyone have a step by step guy on how to change the gear box oil

Should be straight forward.

There will be a drain bung on the bottom and refil port on the side somewhere. You will have to get the car level and raised off the floor, as you then fill it level with that side port.

I can offer a lightening service on the oem flywheels. I've got a couple STD 197 flys kicking about, so can do it on an exchange service.

Torque is unaffected and so is drivability.... I know people say about hills blah blah but I've yet to experience that first hand and I've built many engines and drove many cars with this sort of work.
The worst I experience is on idle on the rally engines, the idle is pretty inconsistant at best, but I'm talking with really wild cams and billet cnc flywheels which are about 30% lighter than OEM

I can offer a lightening service on the oem flywheels. I've got a couple STD 197 flys kicking about, so can do it on an exchange service.

Torque is unaffected and so is drivability.... I know people say about hills blah blah but I've yet to experience that first hand and I've built many engines and drove many cars with this sort of work.
The worst I experience is on idle on the rally engines, the idle is pretty inconsistant at best, but I'm talking with really wild cams and billet cnc flywheels which are about 30% lighter than OEM

I'm interested !

I shouldn't really be chatting to you about this though as my extra membership has ran out...I'll get it sorted asap and start a thread in your section :wink:

The gearbox can't handle the standard clutch and engine!

Won't it just cause gearbox probs if you uprate the clutch?...

My car is still @ Renault having the gearbox fixed!:@!:@!:@!

Anyone know of mods to strengthen gearbox, or what it is that breaks in them?:001_unsure:

The gearbox can't handle the standard clutch and engine!

Won't it just cause gearbox probs if you uprate the clutch?...

My car is still @ Renault having the gearbox fixed!:@!:@!:@!

Anyone know of mods to strengthen gearbox, or what it is that breaks in them?:001_unsure:

the clutch only tranfers the engines torque - it wont damage the engine the point of uprating it is that it can take more abuse/slip etc and has a long life under arduous conditions

the clutch only tranfers the engines torque - it wont damage the engine the point of uprating it is that it can take more abuse/slip etc and has a long life under arduous conditions

No, I mean the other way...

I.E. the gearbox can't handle the torque from the engine as standard, an uprated clutch is only going to feed more into an already weak gearbox. An uprated clutch is only going to be more fierce!

No, I mean the other way...

I.E. the gearbox can't handle the torque from the engine as standard, an uprated clutch is only going to feed more into an already weak gearbox. An uprated clutch is only going to be more fierce!

a clutch whether uprated or not cannot increase torque going in to the gearbox it only transfers flywheel torque to gearbox gears - but what it can do is do it in more of a "shock/jolt" way of transfering that torque and consequently put more shock loading into the internals....and possibly cause problems but i dont think the gearbox is "weak" as such

The likes of Tilton will make a paddle clutch for 500ish

Helix would make one for about 300-400 depending on spec.

a clutch whether uprated or not cannot increase torque going in to the gearbox it only transfers flywheel torque to gearbox gears - but what it can do is do it in more of a "shock/jolt" way of transfering that torque and consequently put more shock loading into the internals....and possibly cause problems but i dont think the gearbox is "weak" as such

The gearbox is obviously weak... that is why they all F**K up!

The 197 gearbox is too weak 4 the engine... Fact!

Never buy a 197 without a warrenty!

I love my 197, it handles like a train on tracks (could do with another 50bhp) Everything works perfectly re lecroninics etc. But, when I get it back from Renault... if it goes wrong again I will be asking for my money back.

I've just lost confidence in Renault cars... I was warned!

The gearbox is obviously weak... that is why they all F**K up!

The 197 gearbox is too weak 4 the engine... Fact!

Never buy a 197 without a warrenty!

I love my 197, it handles like a train on tracks (could do with another 50bhp) Everything works perfectly re lecroninics etc. But, when I get it back from Renault... if it goes wrong again I will be asking for my money back.

I've just lost confidence in Renault cars... I was warned!

i dont agree totally but will agree that there have been plenty of failures