tyre question.

fano45

Paid Member
hi all

Just wanna know if it would be safe to run 205/40/17 tyres on standard 197 wheels.
Reason being the prices here in South Africa are literally half for 205/40/17 tyres as apposed to 215/45/17 tyres regardless of the brand.

Thanks

It wouldn't be unsafe but it might alter the accuracy of your speedo slightly. :smile:

hi all

Just wanna know if it would be safe to run 205/40/17 tyres on standard 197 wheels.
Reason being the prices here in South Africa are literally half for 205/40/17 tyres as apposed to 215/45/17 tyres regardless of the brand.

Thanks

If your going to buy a car one of the considerations needs to be can you afford to run it and maintain it .

If you cant afford to look after it in a way which is safe then id be putting it up for sale .

what about a 225? instead...better to go wider than narrower unless of course its snow tyres :001_rolleyes:

I agree with foxspeed - I'd rather go wider than narrower.
Fano, when I bought my red one, the previous owner had 205s fitted. It just never "felt" the same. Replaced them with 215s all round and it's made a massive difference - if only from a feel point of view. If not 215, go for 225.
Having said all of that, if your reason for buying the 197 was it's handling, I'd spend the extra money to ensure that it's got tyres that do it justice.

@foxspeed: No need to worry about snow around these parts :wink: Fano is from Cape Town as well.

Similar Thread Suggestions