Tyre choices

mb77

Paid Member
Needing to change all 4 tyres for my next MOT and had set on Michelin PS4. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available anywhere. I have email black circles who are owned by Michelin to see if there is a stock issue.

Are there any others worth considering. Some mega reports for the Conti Premium Contact 6. Worst comes to worst the car could be SORN until I get the tyres I want as it isn't moving at the moment.

Cheers

I read 225 was not ideal on the speedlines? Ideally, needs an 8j wheel? Anyone put 225 on the speedlines?

Eagle F1 I had on mine before swapping to PS4s

The clios originally came with conti tyres so they’ll be fine too!

Reactions: mb77
Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 5 are a really good tyre, and also have 25 quid off on Black circles.

I’ve just recently bought a set of PS4’s off Black circles, but they’re 225/45 (still showing in stock). I couldn’t say no to them given they were 280 quid for 4.

£280 for 4?! Bargain. I just checked and for 4 its £332 including the £40 off deal.

They’ll be fine, as in the tyres will fit the wheel ok.

You’re just potentially opening yourself up to rubbing issues depending on if you have spacers or the height of your car. For me it makes no odds as it’s a track car and the arch liners/bumper have already rubbed through from years of track driving.

215/45 were about 160 quid more expensive i think.

Yeah been reading through tons of previous posts and see loads of mention about spacers and ride height. Car is standard cup suspension I am pretty sure but I do plan to do a few track days and dont want rubbing so that is a worry. I did look at going a full track day tyre but also living in Scotland don't want to aqua plane into a ditch!

Decisions decisions

Reactions: Beany
Yeah been reading through tons of previous posts and see loads of mention about spacers and ride height. Car is standard cup suspension I am pretty sure but I do plan to do a few track days and dont want rubbing so that is a worry. I did look at going a full track day tyre but also living in Scotland don't want to aqua plane into a ditch!

Decisions decisions

if you on stock cup suspension you won’t have any issues running 225... downside is the wheels look aweful& chunky

225 will fit absolutely fine. Loads of SP4's available in that size. Also Conti Premium Contact 5 in 215 and 225. You have to have the Conti Sport Contact 5 in those two sizes, I have never seen the 6 listed on the Conti ordering system yet. In my experience however there is not a great deal of different in real life use in the Sport over the Premium even to the point the BMW fit the Premium tyre on things like the M135. I can give you prices but I am sure they will be available local to you, unless you are anywhere near Northampton that is.

Reactions: Justmatt and mb77
Cheers lads, appreciate all the info. I will have a look at 225 again since I'm running stock suspension. I am.planning on some track days so did worry the extra width might run an arch on heavy corners.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

225 will fit absolutely fine. Loads of SP4's available in that size. Also Conti Premium Contact 5 in 215 and 225. You have to have the Conti Sport Contact 5 in those two sizes, I have never seen the 6 listed on the Conti ordering system yet. In my experience however there is not a great deal of different in real life use in the Sport over the Premium even to the point the BMW fit the Premium tyre on things like the M135. I can give you prices but I am sure they will be available local to you, unless you are anywhere near Northampton that is.
Yeah it looks to be the conti premium contact 6 in XL and two speed ratings y and v that show on black circles. No sign of the sport contact 6, just the 5.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

225 Conti's would be £371 a set from me and Michelin would be about £4 more each.

Cheers Nick, appreciate the help. I am a fair bit away from you. I think there are some I can get sourced and delivered pretty local.

What is the difference between XL and the Y and V revisions of the PS4? What's the best one to go for?

XL means extra load. So generally means a stiffer sidewall (i always aim to get XL's)

Y and V are the speed rating. So the max speed the tyre is rated to is:
Y 186 mph, V 149 mph