Track rod removal

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
Right, I need to change a track rod as I think the inner joint has some movement.

I know you need a special tool for the job, would this be the right sort of thing?

http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-expert-track-rod-5312-129869

Roughly how much would a garage charge to change it? (I know i'll need the alignment doing regardless of who does it, so don't include that cost please) I'm just weighing up whether it's worth investing in the correct tool or just getting someone else to do it.

Chris

What side is it mate? If its the passenger side you can get to it by taking the airbox out and reaching down! I used vice grips on it and it came loose quite easily! Bit of hassle taking the battery and airbox out but saves some money!

Last edited:
Unfortunately its drivers side! thanks for the advice though, i'm sure the other one will want doing at some point in the near future!

the renault tool for this is similar and they also have a rack locking tool as well

i managed on mine to use some very old fashioned type pipe grips...

i managed on mine to use some very old fashioned type pipe grips...

Like stilsons or something? Is there room to get at it with them (I've not looked yet) I didn't want to tackle it until I was 100% sure what I was dealing with!

I've done them before on other cars using grips etc, but was under the impression it was a bit tight on the 197's and I would need the correct tool.

Cheers

Chris

Like stilsons or something? Is there room to get at it with them (I've not looked yet) I didn't want to tackle it until I was 100% sure what I was dealing with!

I've done them before on other cars using grips etc, but was under the impression it was a bit tight on the 197's and I would need the correct tool.

Cheers

Chris

space is tight as its close to the chassis/subframe and the suspension is in the way for you to get them in to a position were you can pull on them

the ones i have used are in 2 parts and you unbolt them to move the jaws apart to get on larger diameter items....really old type pipe grips i think!