Track rod ends/steering rods/tie bars

sandbagsniper

Paid Member
Hi does anybody have part numbers for track rod ends and ns steering rod? I think 05 megane diesel track rod ends fit.
I will keep looking, but if anybody could point me in the right direction..

I ordered clio ones and too the car apart to discover they did't fit. I then spent half an hour at my motor factors opening boxes and trying to match parts from other renaults.

Think I found them:
Tie rods

2 x 7701475837

Track rod ends

1 x 7701474795
1 x 7701474796

I will correct this if it is not right.

I'll have both my inner rods for sale in 2 weeks, they've only done 1200 miles. It turned out that my rack is faulty, not the rods...
Pm if interested.

Having bought and fitted some new track rod ends last week, I can confirm that these are the correct part numbers:

Track rod ends

1 x 7701474795
1 x 7701474796

I bought them from here and they were delivered next day:

http://www.eurocarcare.net/steering/ecc7701474796-track-rod-end-right.html
http://www.eurocarcare.net/steering/ecc7701474795-track-rod-end-left.html

7701474795 is the left hand side
7701474796 is the right hand side
7701475837 is the inner track rod kit including new gaiter. Same for left and right

I bought genuine parts from Karl, each track rod end is ~£45 and each inner track rod also ~£45

The ones I got from eurocarcare are made by Bilstein. I don't care if they're not OEM, no-one would turn their nose up at Bilstein! They also appeared to be identical to the ones I took off the car.

They probably are oem, Renault will have them made by someone, maybe Bilstein, or Lemforder (the anti rotation links are lemforder parts). Basically you've bought the same part as BenW at a much better price because it doesn't have a Renault box.

Some people just don't like it when you get a better deal than them......

It's not that, I actually work for a major tier 1 automotive supplier (much bigger than bilstein etc.) and have seen first hand the r&d that goes into oem parts compared to cheap aftermarket parts.

However, I accept that sometimes oem parts can be the same as cheaper aftermarket parts. All I can say is that I bought aftermarket drop links for my old fiesta and both sides failed within a month even though they were advertised as oem quality

I noticed when I lifted my car to check ball joints/clean under it/ clean calipers etc that there is slight play if I push and pull the front wheel at the 3-9o'clock position

I remember on my 197 I renewed the rack ends and track rod ends as they were a bit worn and even after fitting the new parts there was some play.

Is that consistent wih what people find with their car?

I seem to remember reading somewhere there is play in the system but when the engine is runnig and PS pump running the play should stop.

I couldn't see any play in the track rod end and as the rubber boot was fitted on the rack end couldn't visually see what was going on there.

If there is meant to be no play at all (both wheels off the ground and pull/push at 3-9o'clock position on wheel) I will take it I. And try and get it sorted under warranty.

I had a little bit of play in each inner track rod, about the same on both sides. I bought new ones anyway and the new ones have no play, however haven't fitted them yet.

My outer track rod end (bit that connects to the hub) had a fair bit of play in one side, definitely too much. So try and find out exactly where the play's coming from

I had a little bit of play in each inner track rod, about the same on both sides. I bought new ones anyway and the new ones have no play, however haven't fitted them yet.

My outer track rod end (bit that connects to the hub) had a fair bit of play in one side, definitely too much. So try and find out exactly where the play's coming from

excellent advice!

might be inner rack ball joint - quite common - so need to check it correctly to find where the wear/play is

That's where the wear on my 197 was found. The ball and socket wasn't pulling apart but was very slack.

My 200 I would t have expected to be that worn yet. I'm not sure If the movement I can feel by pushing/pulling is just the steering moving left and right slightly while the wheels are In The air

I think if I had one wheel on the ground to stop it steering left/right and have a wheel in the air to push and pull on to check, any play felt would be wear and not steering movement.

I have a feeling these cars have some play built into them anyway if both wheels are off the ground.

The TRE had no movement at all. I couldn't see the rack end cos of the rubber boot.

Have a go at pushing and pulling the wheel side to side and see if you have any movement (wheel steering left or right) and compare it to when you fit new rack ends and track rod ends.

I would be interested to see what difference you find - when I did my 197 it was better but there was still slight movement left and right.

How much movement did you have when you checked?

I can't really do a before/after comparison. I tried to change them myself but the track rod ends were sooo seized I just couldn't get them off no matter how hard I tried, think they need a load of heat on them so I'm going to admit defeat and get them done at a garage.

But I checked each side at a time so 1 wheel on the ground, the inner track rods probably had about 1-2mm axial movement. The worn outer track rod had about 2-3mm axial movement and OK track rod end had no movement but I'm replacing it anyway.