Track rod end and ball joints

Ok so last August my car went for its MOT and came back with 3 advisories.

N/S Track Rod End
N/S Ball Joint
O/S Ball Joint

after the Mot I went on holiday for 2 weeks and left the car here. Finally got around to sorting the car out and bought all the parts I need for £25 which seemed really cheap!
getting them home and out the boxes I have realised that they are completely the wrong ones for my car (Clio 197) despite giving them my number plate and confirming that is a Renault Sport.

I have returned them and ogt a refund, Just been to a Local garage which I used to use alot with my old car they have been on the hunt for the correct parts and have told me for the TRD and the two ball joints + tracking and Fitting will be £650!!!

has anyone done this them selves how much and how difficult?

What is this price like as I think it is stupidly over priced!

What aftermarket parts do anyone suggest?

Thanks in advance

The ball joints can be done for c£120 per side by Bolsover Car Care in Chesterfield. The TRD I'm not certain what the cost will be, however I'm the sure the same garage could do that too. £650 seems an awful lot, but as I say, I don't know what the typical cost is for a track rod end.

The ball joints can be done for c£120 per side by Bolsover Car Care in Chesterfield. The TRD I'm not certain what the cost will be, however I'm the sure the same garage could do that too. £650 seems an awful lot, but as I say, I don't know what the typical cost is for a track rod end.

£120 per side really? the ball joints I bought were like £6.99 haha dont think they were same ones are the standard mk3 but still £240 just for ball joints is still a lot! how easy do you reckon that would be to do?

£120 per side really? the ball joints I bought were like £6.99 haha dont think they were same ones are the standard mk3 but still £240 just for ball joints is still a lot! how easy do you reckon that would be to do?

They do seem cheap for £7 :smiley: have a look at this thread which clarifies the work that BCC do. http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...fer-Top-and-bottom-swivels&highlight=bolsover

I can't comment on how easy it is to DIY as I wouldn't know where to start!

Bought a ball joint last week, it was £60 posted from r sport. Got it and a multitude of other stuff fitted for £100. £650 labour is taking the piss but I was quoted something similar from Renault.

The correct way to do things is to probably just buy a new hub from Renault, circa £175 per side plus fitting so this is probably what your local garage is quoting you for.

But if you contact RSport as mentioned you can have a pair of balljoints for just over £100 delivered. Whoever you get to fit them, make sure they know what they are doing as the hub is alloy and will crack very easily. I.e don't have them press them in and out, instead heat the alloy and they will drop out and new one will drop in.

Track rod ends ate not that dear. I need to get a quote for mine tomorrow so will let you know a price

I had this done in january.

Just dug the invoice out, and pricing seems to be around about what you have been quoted.

Work Required:
Replaced both front botom ball joints
Replaced OSF track rod end and tracking
Value: 354.00

Parts:
R7701208960 - Hub Carrier OS Genuine x1 = £170.16
R7701208961 - Stub assy LH Genuine x1 = £172.89
REES2093 - Tie Rod assy x1 = £13.70

Then labor ontop of that i guess

Mine seems fine so far. It's only one day but il report back with any news. My mechanic has worked on most of my cars but that was his first 197, he said it was like a rally car haha. I understand getting someone with experience to do the work but a saving of £500 for was just far too good to pass up and it would seem the lads done a good job.

Hi mate i fitted track rod ends to my car in November and it took just over an hour that was both sides and tracking too, i got the track rods for about £20- £27 and they have been fine since as i have checked them. Its a easy job too do, i have also fitted 2 track arms in the past its a wee bit trickier to do but not a hard job either you just need a big set of stilsons pliers to do this. Not had to do the ball joints yet as both hub carriers were replaced under arnold clark autocare a while back.