Track/Driving Tuition

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
The old B'day is coming up soon and thinking of asking for something along the lines of some kind of on track tuition.

I've yet to get out on track in a car in the real world, though have been playing racing sims for ages ( 500+ laps of the ring and counting :tongueout: ) so understand the basic concepts.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of things like this and if they found them worthwhile?

Ta :smile:

Well worth it. My friends did a track day at Brands Hatch before we went to the Nurburgring. I didn't, hence why I HATED every minute of my lap lol!

Doing a trackday on a one to one tuition is just brilliant. Personal tuition, personal to your ability. Can't beat it. Don't do the ring in real life without doing one first. I can tell you, it will ruin you lol!

It is a good idea regardless, but you need to decide what you want to gain from it, and do you want to get track time with an instructor in your own car, or go for an "experience".

Time in your own car is relatively inexpensive, it is the other track day costs that mount up, tyres, insurance, helmet hire, additional drivers, passengers, fuel, etc. having time with an instructor on the day is by comparison quite cheap, plus it is good as it give you time to learn the track, then go out with an instructor, then take on board what they have said, and possibly get a second session later in the day.

The experience type days are good in terms of having fun driving different track prepared cars, but are much more expensive, on the plus side helmet hire, etc. is typically included and it isn't your car, fuel, tyres, insurance.

I have done a few experience days (Jim Russell, PalmerSport, and another that I can't remember), they are really useful and the instructors do encourage you to drive the car hard, I would avoid the "drive a Ferarri" days and similar though as you probably won't learn much from those.

I will definately be trying to get time with an instructor on my next track day, should help to get the most out of my car on that circuit.