Track alloys

Sorry I know this one has been covered but I need abit of help with what track wheels & tyres to buy I haven't got a massive budget probably £1300 all in ideally can anyone suggest any alloys an tyres which would suit my car and do well on track?

People use Laguna silverstones as track alloys and they are cheap and easy to get hold of.

however that's a pretty decent budget and you could get a used set of oz ultras and 4 ad08s for that quite happily.

What's the weight of the 8" Cup Racer then, what did you compare against? I don't recal an exact weight but I'm sure that they were at best no lighter than 200 Cup alloys?

The 7.5" (road) Speedlines are heavier than 200 Cup wheels, I've read that in several places.

What's the weight of the 8" Cup Racer then, what did you compare against? I don't recal an exact weight but I'm sure that they were at best no lighter than 200 Cup alloys?

The 7.5" (road) Speedlines are heavier than 200 Cup wheels, I've read that in several places.

Due to my Cup Racer build still under construction I can't comment and quote exact figures yet as I haven't got to that stage where wheel weights alone can be weighed in, however... I can confirm with a standard factory 7.5 road wheel with tyre the weight is 22.05KG and a Cup Racer wheel with wets are 18.15KG.

Ive had both and there's hardly anything in it iirc.

Due to my Cup Racer build still under construction I can't comment and quote exact figures yet as I haven't got to that stage where wheel weights alone can be weighed in, however... I can confirm with a standard factory 7.5 road wheel with tyre the weight is 22.05KG and a Cup Racer wheel with wets are 18.15KG.

Is that a 7.5" road speedline or normal non speedline wheel? As iirc the road 7.5" Speedlines are around 1kg higher than a 200 wheel which is the lightest of the normal wheels.

Ive had both and there's hardly anything in it iirc.

Yep which is what I've read, if I saw somewhere with a black and white report saying yes, Cup Racer 8" are 2kg lighter per wheel, I'd have some on already! Could then run 235/40/17's :wink:!

-
To the OP, just get a set of 200 wheels and something like; R888R, DZ03G, FZ-201, AO48, V70A etc if you want the best in dry track. The next step down is AD08R, R1R, RSR, NSR2 etc.

Mind I've not been bothered by the mid way stuff like the AD08R, I found they wore too quickly on the road and they don't offer anything like the grip of proper R-comps. If you are doing a 2nd set of wheels then go for the proper track tyres IMO.
Could still use AD08R's on the daily road stuff, but IMO it's then better to use something more road focussed but still sporty like an RE002, hell even a SportContact 5. - Will do nicely in wet track use too.

Interesting then.... I wonder how much of that 4kg was down to the tyre...?

stop spending my money!!!!! :smiley:

@Raider08 : have a look at these ... http://www.braid.es/wheels/

braid wheels are competition wheels (renault puts them on their clio R3T rally car). nearly indestructible, but not as light as oz ultra's or alleggerita's. you can chose the ET value and PCD yourself. you pay extra for any colour except white. i believe there's also an option to pay extra for a lightweight version, but i'm not sure if that's the case for every wheel they produce. best thing is, they won't break the bank.

here's a spanish clio on 18's ...

cambio-206-gti-x-clio-sport-fase-3_0.jpg

compro-clio-sport-200cv.jpg

Last edited:
I have both sets of wheels and Cup racer 8' Speedlines are heavier than 200 cup wheels for about 1 kg if memory serves me. They're a tad above 10 kg each.
I've read somewhere that they're made of alloy with addition of magnesium, mainly for heat management rather than lightness (obviously :wink: and I can reassure You they're quite strong - I hit a BMW 135i with front wheel on track while overtaking on the inside of the corner (he lost control and he intersected my line) and while he have seriously damaged his bodywork I barely scratched the paint from the wheel. I kept on driving and finished first in class.

As for track wheels I really like ATS DTC but probably easier to get hold of (not the prettiest but very light) OZ Alleggerita

So we have one person saying they saved 4kg a corner (inc tyre weights), and another saying +1kg a corner on bare wheels.

Tbh I've read a lot more people saying 8" Cup Racers weigh more than 200 Cup wheels etc, than people saying they weigh less.

Mistery solved haha, Federals 595 RS-R - they're heavy as hell I used to run them to and have comparison to Hankook wets - massive difference in favor of wets (and it can be seen from the second photo You weighted federals against michelin competition tire so same story here). The difference in weight comes from tires alone since that 197 alloy weighs about the same as 8j Speedlines.