Toyosports Exhaust Manifold - performance wise

Raptor6767

Gold Member
So, I'm thinking about a new exhaust manifold - not because my OEM cracked or the flexi's have gone - but I want more performance out of my car.

The only aftermarket option for our cars is the above.

$_57.jpg

Features:

• Our products are 100 % Brand New.
  • Mandrel Bent T-304 Stainless Steel.
  • This Exhaust Manifold is Mirror Polished.
  • Improve throttle response & Housepower by 7-15 BHP
  • 4-2-1 Manifold ,44mm -50mm-60mm.
  • 2.5" (64 mm)Diameter inlet.
  • There is one sensor hole.
  • You will get exactly which the above pictures shown.
  • one Gasket is included ,NO bolts.
  • Professional fitting recommended.

Given in mind that I know what does 7-15bhp means to our N/A cars and what needs to be done to get such gains, it wasn't difficult for me to send them an email:

Dear toyosports,
I'm interested in the item above and I'm wondering how did you get these results: Improve throttle response & Housepower by 7-15 BHP?
Do you have any dyno charts?
Thank you very much for your swift reply!

Hi Sorry we are only able to provide you with the information in our listing. You would be better off consulting your mechanic or fitter and we have no charts.
many thanks
Toyosports Ltd UK
Customer support
Monday - Friday
10 am - 5 pm

I thought you had the car dyno tested with & without the exhaust manifold.
Then, based on what data do you claim 7-15bhp increase?
I'm just wondering because I would like to buy the manifold considering it's the only upgrade option for the exhaust manifold on the market besides the Renault Sport Clio R3 exhaust manifold.
TNX

Hi sorry we could not help further.
many thanks
Toyosports Ltd UK
Customer support
Monday - Friday

10 am - 5 pm

So at the end of the day - they're claiming something that they haven't even tested?!

I know that some of you have that manifold, however, most of you (probably all) bought that manifold as a cheap replacement for the stock broken one so the feeling that you have after installing of the new Toyosport manifold could be wrong because your stock manifold wasn't working as it should.

I'm even willing to get by with the installation difficulties when it comes to rubbing the manifold on the chassis (one of the reasons I bought all of the Powerflex engine mounts) if there are REAL performance gains.

Can anyone tell me do those figures match the gains they got when swithcing from stock (fully functional) manifold to the Toyosports manifold?

TNX!

Last edited:
I'm planning on taking mine to RS Tuning later in the year to get it mapped after having the Toyosports manifold fitted. It managed 187.5bhp @7300rpm and 151ftlb @5650 there last year, so I have a benchmark. Keep an eye out, I'll post a thread with the results.

It doesn't feel any faster, though.

This should be a good thread once the results are in :smile:

i think everyone eagerly awaits :smile:

Id say zero difference, just that the toyo manifold will prob last longer

It may show a 1 or 2hp difference but you wont gain anything day to day driving as with most mods for the clio

I was thinking that, there's no difference really, both standard and that are 4-2-1 etc.

Can't Imagine that making much difference, you'd need more force being dragged into the engine if you want more coming out,

matched inlets, removed cats etc, map etc

Reactions: kmxgoon
Well all I can say is don't bother, unless your Renault manifold is broken.

Renault:

IEkiJjy.jpg

Toyosports:

0knVXSF.jpg

Mine had lost 6bhp from putting the Toyosports manifold on it, so that's a bit disappointing. Although there could be any number of factors which could cause that, like spark plugs being older and having suffered the engine running lean after fitting the new manifold but before mapping, and there's a possibility that I over-oiled my ITG filter after cleaning it. But in any event,

Paul managed to get it back up to 188.3bhp after a good deal of effort, which is 0.8 more than what it ran with the standard manifold before mapping. I'd like to know what mine would have got with a map on the standard manifold - probably more than that. The final run was with the manifold glowing though, so heat soak might have been an issue!

Anyway, I'd say it was worthwhile if you have a broken manifold, but if yours is fine, just leave it and spend the money elsewhere. It does drive much more smoothly now, so I'm pleased in that respect. And it did all come in less than the cost of a new manifold from Renault. But I am a little disappointed because in the end I think I've sacrificed everyday drivability with it being a bit more drony (and not in a good way) and having more vibration from the Powerflex insert, and ended up with basically what I used to have... with my wallet being £1k lighter. The joys of Renault Sport ownership, eh?

Joe

Same thing happend to me when I installed Miltek sport cat and catback on the stock map.

The car had to be remapped. However, later on it made 5bhp more when stock without the exhaust & remap.

So, this manifold sucks performance wise...

Might not get one now , mine made 7bhp with scorpion non res and scorpion sports cat before but its back to standard now so dont know what it would make if i put a manifold on and the exhaust back on might just go for the y-pipe

Not really a surprise that a £200 manifold is rubbish, a decent manifold designed for power would cost lots in R&D and would need to be assembled with absolutely perfect welding etc not assembled by a 10 year old in china, you get what you pay for

Not really a surprise that a £200 manifold is rubbish, a decent manifold designed for power would cost lots in R&D and would need to be assembled with absolutely perfect welding etc not assembled by a 10 year old in china, you get what you pay for
By that then you would expect Renaults manifold to be excellent considering they're about £700 each.

Think not.

If you look at the design of renaults manifold, it's actually pretty good but I wasn't talking about overpriced main dealer parts

If you look at the design of renaults manifold, it's actually pretty good but I wasn't talking about overpriced main dealer parts

Really!
Have you actually removed one & had a look ?
The primaries are way smaller than the head ports, crap flex joints, pipes poorly finished at head plate (squashed & misaligned pipes, crap welds).

Yes the Renault manifold design is ok but get a Toyosports manifold & actually have a look at it first hand. The difference in build, finish & design is night & day.

Unfortunately like some other parts on the Clio III (engine mounts, strut tops etc), the oem suppliers to Renault leave a lot to be desired in build quality.

Last edited:
Well after posting up my results I did the proper thing and just took the car out for a blast last night. As usual with these things, as I think we all know, when they're running right, they put a huge smile on your face. It's just nice to have it all working well again - after having it mapped it seems a lot smoother and generally a happier engine. What I would say as advice to people considering fitting one of these either out of necessity (cracked manifold) or out of choice, is to factor in the cost of a remap, just have a look at the difference in afr before and after from yesterday:

6f57LLQ.jpg

Looking back, I might have just bitten the bullet and had a new Renault manifold fitted. I didn't want a second hand one because it's entirely possible that, internally, the process of the flange joints beginning to fail could have begun. I've heard varying quotes for the genuine part, from £600 to £1000. It's also been said in other threads that they are a very rare thing, with supply from France very much being in drips and drabs.

So in reality, for about the same cost as just going back to square one, I took a punt and it's not really worked - but that's the fun of this sort of thing, eh?! What I'd like to do is get it on the rollers after a good oil service and new plugs, after an opportunity for it to cool down a bit - like I say, the manifold was glowing orange on the final pull Paul did yesterday!

Joe

I hear those 10 year old Chinese kids are pretty good as the Dongfeng Motor company in China will be making cars for Renault in 2016.