To buy or Not to buy?

Ive been saving for a R27 for a while now and i just about have enough to but a nice example but have to save up for the £2300 for insurance :-( I spotted a black R27 on pistonheads the otherday its done 11,500 miles and is only £7,200! so i could but that now and have the money for insurance.. looks mint but is a recorded cat D writeoff, said its only had light damage to the rear quarter panel. I give him a call and the car has no damage report and he doesnt know who repaired it. Before i buy it i was going to get the aa to do a inspection to check its been repaired correctly, with no structual damage.. Do you think i should go for it? what should i look for when i go see the car?

Thanks Mike

personally i wouldnt go anywhere near a cat D, espeically when he dont even know where the work was carried out. :thumbdown:

save that bit more mate and get a decent example. im sure there are a few good ones out there.

why are you set on a R27.?
they are just a 197 with cup chassis.
yes they are worth slightly more but if its been a write off thats defeating that.
plus an R27 cost more on the insurance than a FF 197.

I seen a link for this one you are talking about on cliosport.net, alot of the guys were saying stay away from it. The headlights look like two different kinds aswel :wink:

I'd stay away from Cat D's mate. Hold out for a while till you find the perfect car for you, you'll know instantly when you see it that it's the one for you!

If the AA report finds no problems I don't see it being an issue, they are very thorough! However keep on mind the hassle you'll have selling it on.

why are you set on a R27.?
they are just a 197 with cup chassis.
yes they are worth slightly more but if its been a write off thats defeating that.
plus an R27 cost more on the insurance than a FF 197.

I have always had my heart set on a f1, I like the decals and all the extras you get cup chassis, recaros, rear tints and I wanted xenons and climate.. I have never found a ff 197 with all the options..

I'd stay away from it mate, a cat d is only a good buy imo if it's going on a trailer to be used as a track car. Then it's worth the saving.

I completely understand why you are tempted by it as that is a big saving, but for me it would constantly be at the back of my mind and I would not be able to enjoy the car like you should, safe in the knowledge that everything is perfect with it! Its the right decision to leave it for a little while to get the right one!

if you want an r27 cheap i have a fella selling one in stranreare or however you spell it almost bought it of him for some fun.

its got some curbed alloys and a lil scratch on roof.

but he wants 9k for it and its done 11k miles

the only reason i didnt buy the thing was cuz its had 5 owners in 11k miles lol... kinda worrying.

but its still in warrenty for a year

pm me if you want the details ill happily give them to you

if you want an r27 cheap i have a fella selling one in stranreare or however you spell it almost bought it of him for some fun.

its got some curbed alloys and a lil scratch on roof.

but he wants 9k for it and its done 11k miles

the only reason i didnt buy the thing was cuz its had 5 owners in 11k miles lol... kinda worrying.

but its still in warrenty for a year

pm me if you want the details ill happily give them to you

Thats abit much tbh Sounds like its had 11,000 hard miles, I seen one in Renault Manchester i want, LY with all options looks sweet! Thanks for offering anyway :smile:

well im 21 in a 200 and its £890 but i had to add my bro, his misses and someone at work to bring it down, im with elephant, having them on brought it down from £1400.

Well thanks for the advice but £3,577! With elephant.co.uk Both my Mum + Dad on the policy aswell with £1000 Voluntary excess.. I guess ill just have to move out of liverpool before i get cheap insurance :tongueout:

Same story for me actually Im 22 and I managed to come down from 1194 with direct line to 818 with admiral just by putting my GF and uncle on it! Best thing to do is add whoever you know that has a great and long driving history as named drivers, it makes quite a difference but its not wrong as nowhere does it say they actually have to drive it lol!

My mate is also looking for a 197 and had seen this and nearly put an offer in until I told him to have a look at this thread. To me not knowing the history is worse than knowing its had a hard life!

Well thanks for the advice but £3,577! With elephant.co.uk Both my Mum + Dad on the policy aswell with £1000 Voluntary excess.. I guess ill just have to move out of liverpool before i get cheap insurance :tongueout:

Then its your age, i was driving a pink polo my auntie gave to me when i was 19!