TL4 gearbox....no not another broken one this time (gearbox stripped down)

All I can add is that when Adam put my reg in when ordering the replacement gearbox, the system told him it was discontinued and advised of a revised part number maybe indicating some changes but it didn't specify what.

got the schematic of both an early 197 and a 200 6-speed tl4 box...

both sets on internal items are the same ie synchro hubs etc!

3-part synchros are only on 1st and 2nd gears for both boxes...

so if there have been any changes it must be to material specifications and possible build dimentions

i wonder if on a certain batch of gearboxes a different supplier was used for the synchro hubs/baulk rings :eek:

Picture of the single piece baulk ring/synchro.

Does anyone have a picture of the single piece ring that Renault have been fitting to 2nd and 3rd gears on the repaired boxes?

Cheers Foxy. Just to confirm, that's the updated single piece on the top?

no idea on that one!

i cannot get an answer from anyone as reguards what has or hasnt been done to the gearboxes...

as i posted earlier the early 56 and later 200 gearboxes are internally the same with regards to part quantities/numbers and set up - there is no mention of any "material" changes ie brass to cast iron baulk rings etc

its all a bit chinese whispers at the moment with no hard evidance....:bye2:

the gearbox parts listings for both gearboxes give the following -

1st = 3 peice synchro assembly (output shaft)

2nd = 3 piece synchro assembly (output shaft)

3rd / 4th / 5th / 6th = single peice synchro assembly (input shaft)

Good read that mate very interesting, am glad you made me carry it out of your old garage when you moved

hi,

great thread, nice to see pics with experience coments as well.
have a rs200, just started getting problem getting first or reverse from start up. once warm (1 mile) its ok. other threads say clutch release bearing, cable fault, worn gb, oil issue. what the best way to approach diagnostics with this problem, any advice most welcome.

thanks Mick
diagnostics

hi,

great thread, nice to see pics with experience coments as well.
have a rs200, just started getting problem getting first or reverse from start up. once warm (1 mile) its ok. other threads say clutch release bearing, cable fault, worn gb, oil issue. what the best way to approach diagnostics with this problem, any advice most welcome.

thanks Mick
diagnostics

easiest is an oil change - see how that effects it

Very interesting read - thanks for posting!

I have a 56 plate 197 with over 60,000 on the clock with original gearbox and that is fine yet I know people who have had 57/58 plate models and have had major problems so what you say would seem to tie up!

However, one question I have, when changing gear from 2nd to 3rd on the odd occasion at low rpm if I change gear slowly, I feel a very slight bit of resistance like a click through the gearknob, there is no noise, no crunch and it always finds the gear fine everytime - It occurs, maybe 3/4 times out of 10 gear changes at low rpm. It isn't a problem particularly I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what this might be?

It never occurs when accelerating hard or if I go from 4th to 3rd, so I didn't think it was the standard syncro problem that people seem to report. I thought perhaps a gearbox oil change might help?

Last edited:
Very interesting read - thanks for posting!

I have a 56 plate 197 with over 60,000 on the clock with original gearbox and that is fine yet I know people who have had 57/58 plate models and have had major problems so what you say would seem to tie up!

However, one question I have, when changing gear from 2nd to 3rd on the odd occasion at low rpm if I change gear slowly, I feel a very slight bit of resistance like a click through the gearknob, there is no noise, no crunch and it always finds the gear fine everytime - It occurs, maybe 3/4 times out of 10 gear changes at low rpm. It isn't a problem particularly I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what this might be?

It never occurs when accelerating hard or if I go from 4th to 3rd, so I didn't think it was the standard syncro problem that people seem to report. I thought perhaps a gearbox oil change might help?

sounds similar to mine! change can be a bit "clicky/clacky" sort of way at times but doesn't crunch...oil change wont do it any harm that's for sure

Have Renault changed any thing about theses boxs now or are the new ones u can buy from them still as bad as ever , with the amount of failures you would think they would try and fix the problem

I work for a Renault dealer and I've never seen any tech info on changes to the gear box I just wanted to check on hear too thanks
There was a post somewhere on the forum regarding changes (Not sure how accurate), I'll have a look and edit if I find it.

From various places:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?4539-Differences-between-197-R27-and-200

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?435525-197-revised-gearbox-question

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?401145-197-Revised-GearBox

Last edited: