Tips on driving a Mk3 Clio well?

bedoef

Platinum Member
I just recently bought a used 2012 Clio RS, and I really am in love with the car. I get the biggest smile on my face just thinking about it! However, I have come from a lineage of automatic cars and, so the Clio marks my first foray into manual cars as a DD. I have driven manuals on occasion, and every once in a blue moon had the chance to track them, but I would not say I was exceptionally skilled (ie no heel-toe, sometimes slipped the clutch on shifts, or rough shifts etc). I have been driving her for a month and I would say I am getting better at being smooth, but what I wanted to know is what would you guys recommend, specifically with driving the Clio as a DD, for overall health of the car? How to keep the clutch long lasting, try not to blow up the syncros, etc? Any advice specific to our cars would be great. The general manual driving stuff I can always look for youtube videos, but more advice is always appreciated.

I dont particularly have a tip as such, and haven't tracked the 200 yet (changing that in a couple of months all going well!) but when i'm driving, for each down shift I blip the throttle, so as to rev match for the next gear, find it quite easy with this car, and I feel that would be better for both the clutch and the 'box in my opinion. However I could be wrong, i'm still quite young inexperienced compatred to some on the roads!

Try and get all the braking and gear changing done while straight, look further ahead than you normally would and don't be afraid to chuck it around a bit :thumbup:

I don't think I have too many tips for 'manual' driving other than just to take your time and build up your shift speeds and try and learn how to rev match the car as best you can. Don't just hammer it through the gears and keep missing them, otherwise you're just asking for syncro problems.

As for general driving then I'd say don't be too shy of the throttle on corners, despite the Clio having no LSD it hooks up surprisingly well under throttle and will really pull you through the corners (mostly due to a good chassis and complete lack of torque in the engine) a good trick to learn in the Clio is how to keep up momentum and how to balance it on the throttle as you're pushing on. If you can master that you'll be surprisingly quick.

Watch the lift off oversteer, it's a fantastic tool but the Clio snaps very quickly, lift off by all means but get straight back on the loud pedal.

Personally I don't mess about with smooth gear changes, just chuck it in but then again I've killed one gearbox lol

Watch the lift off oversteer, it's a fantastic tool but the Clio snaps very quickly, lift off by all means but get straight back on the loud pedal.

Personally I don't mess about with smooth gear changes, just chuck it in but then again I've killed one gearbox lol

There's no reason not to do a smooth gear change, it's easy to do and much better for the gearbox (normally quicker too). The lift off oversteer can be very snappy, but once you get the hang of it you can lift on entry to get the nose turned in then get on the power mid corner hard to drive out. I'm get to get on track to learn how it works properly, but I think on track it might be more about driving smoothly to be fast?

I always try and be smooth on track and the Clio is at home when on one.

200 is too jerky for smooth changes, it just prefers been thrown in and lifting the clutch quickly in my experience.

Provided the clutch is fully disengaged it should be fine. It's the synchro that's the issue not someone's gear changes, well provided they are using the clutch anyway.

yeah i did goodwood on the weekend and you just have to be smooth and keep the revs up, i didn't really have any rear end play even in the wet but i think thats because my tyres are quite grippy and i wanted to be fast and smooth rather than playing around a bit. haha

Lift off over steer is awesome once mastered it makes going fast into corners soo funny , but honestly just go out there and enjoy the car , there cracking motors and are hard to beat down a nice windy road , but don't take my word or any one on here , go out there and do it , lots of smiles for your money !!

don't rush the box from cold and let it warm up before flooring it (at least 15 minutes of normal driving).

Try and rev match and if you can try to get used to heel and toe.

I find the standard throttle response quite poor for fast heel and toe downshifts. Used to be able to do it in my old mini but that had a race weight flywheel so would whip up the revs in a split second. In the clio now I have to try really hard and bend my foot at a crazy angle to rev it hard enough for smooth shifts.

Think a sprintbooster would sort this, just not got round to buying one yet.

I find the standard throttle response quite poor for fast heel and toe downshifts. Used to be able to do it in my old mini but that had a race weight flywheel so would whip up the revs in a split second. In the clio now I have to try really hard and bend my foot at a crazy angle to rev it hard enough for smooth shifts.
Think a sprintbooster would sort this, just not got round to buying one yet.

Same problem I have, the throttle pedal in the Clio is p*ss poor. I can H&T my van better than the Clio lol.

Lol if Mikka weighed 20st and looked like an grumpy Northerner sure :wink:

:rofl:

Hey nowt wrong with up north !!! Can't beat Yorkshire , well ok you can , south of France etc , but Yorkshire puddings take ssome beating lol

These cars really do love the punishment of high rev's. Its when they come alive.

Once you've done that a few times the rest will come to you very quickly :wink:

Same problem I have, the throttle pedal in the Clio is p*ss poor. I can H&T my van better than the Clio lol.

Is that because your size 4s can't bridge the gap between brake and accelerator properly? :tongueout:

I found the pedals were great, the only issue was the ****ty throttle response. H&T in a ph1 with cable throttle is lovely.

Is that because your size 4s can't bridge the gap between brake and accelerator properly? :tongueout:

I found the pedals were great, the only issue was the ****ty throttle response. H&T in a ph1 with cable throttle is lovely.

Try it with a sprintbooster.