Time has come.. to pick up my nimbus cup

Regarding run-in there are few different schools of thought -the current main two are: thrash it from new, or run it in gently and there are many different pro's and cons to this. But performance bike did a large review of each method and found the ones thrashed from the off made the most power, but had lower torque and consumed more oil. -the ones that were run in gently made less power but more torque and consumed less oil. -but worth noting is that the differences were circa 2bhp and 2.5lb/ft (at the fly) -so to sumarise it doesn't make a blind bit of difference lol (I hate motorbikes anyway :tongueout:)

Stunning car fella.

The comment on per running-in is very interesting.
Evo magazine ran a clio 200 (not the cup) in their fast fleet, they put it on a RR after 18 months of driving, it produced (please don't quote me) 205 or 208 bhp. Now I am sure that they will have really driven this car from the start. So the statement of more power after thrashing from the start may be correct. There is no proof of this but there does seem to be some correlation there.

Evo magazine ran a clio 200 (not the cup) in their fast fleet, they put it on a RR after 18 months of driving, it produced (please don't quote me) 205 or 208 bhp. Now I am sure that they will have really driven this car from the start. So the statement of more power after thrashing from the start may be correct. There is no proof of this but there does seem to be some correlation there.

Dodgy rollers, no standard 200 will ever make that!

Not quite sure what you mean? The evo results mean nothing, for all we know the 'true' results could be 180bhp which would suggest you shouldn't thrash a car from new.

Not quite sure what you mean? The evo results mean nothing, for all we know the 'true' results could be 180bhp which would suggest you shouldn't thrash a car from new.

Fair point Ben, its a shame that not all RR may produce the 'correct' readings.
I wasn't trying to make the point that thrashing a car from new may increase BHP, I am just interested on the different theories of running-in, as being an engineer myself.

I was told by ran engine builder once to take it to a long steephill and using full throttle at low revs was the best way to break in an engine. It pushes the rings into the cylinders more than just caining it.

Seen quite a few rr results with over 190 bhp.. I'd be interested to see what mileage they had when tested. Maybe they take 20k to come on song?

Rich