These cars are ridiculous!

I had an 2.0 Audi TT DSG roadster before the Clio. Now I have to say that the engine was really superb, power all over the rev range. The DSG gearbox is really phenomenal as well. You could be flat out right in the middle of a bend and change gears and it was so quick and smooth it wouldn't upset the car at all.

All that being said, it was just a fat b**tard. It had pretty decent grip mid corner but had zero flickability, absolutely terrible in fact. Definitely not a car you want to hustle around a mountain pass. A quick left-right flick just wasn't possible but then again I don't think 99% of people bought the car for that purpose.

The Clio on the other hand is pretty much the opposite, a pretty flat engine, not relaxing to drive (I like that) and is a monster on the mountain passes.

I had an M3 steam right up to my bumper just before a series of 12 tight 2nd/3rd gear bends and hairpins that take place within half a mile. The Beemer was absolutely nowhere. I waited for him at the end of the road and he was signalling to me that I was a nut case... it's not me it's the car!

I guess he was upset he got smoked by a Renault (they have a terrible reputation over here). The M3 is a phenomenal car but not on that road.
Anyway, just had my Gordini a few weeks and lovin' it right now :thumbup:

Always found them to be most fun on track, easier to take it up to 10/10ths and a little beyond. On the road, although fun I always have that nagging thought of binning it which unusually on track despite the occasional unexpected sideways moments have always felt more at ease.

I find it quite fun for just bimbling around it too, it rarely goes above 4krpm this time of year though...

It's on the road that I find it to be brilliant because it's so precise. We don't drive around on the Top Gear test track and have 100m run off to go sideways and end up in a spin. If I miss the corner by 3 metres I fall off the mountain! I'll have to take some videos, it will freak you guys out!

Almost, just with tarmac as smooth as a race track and no barriers
8189417037_4bee2634d2_b.png

Either way, not a place you want you want to be oversteering or running sideways

Yeh not sure which is worse, no barriers and likely dry roads or barriers but likely greasy roads......

Either way yours looks sunny so I think I'd go there :smile:

If I knew I was the only road user then dry roads/no barriers all day.

In reality, I'd take greasy roads/barriers.

Shame mine no longer feels positive through the steering and no one will listen to me

Driving experience is now minimal

The Clio on the other hand is pretty much the opposite, a pretty flat engine, not relaxing to drive (I like that) and is a monster on the mountain passes.

But this is part of the fun factor isn't it? Part of the driving experience? What adds to the pleasure? To squeeze it all way through to extract every single bit of power while at the same doing silly speeds at the twisties? Like having sex for instance (for the non married anyway), when you have it easy you don't like it, when you have to try for it then...well...I'll leave it to that:smile:

Shame mine no longer feels positive through the steering and no one will listen to me

Driving experience is now minimal

Why is that mate? Sorry to hear that, steering rack/column checked? It has to be something easy to diagnose...

It was the last 6 cylinder model M3.
I test drove the Z4 M Coupe before buying the TT. Great car, great engine, very boring interior but mostly it isn't a car you can drive 10/10ths unless you have a spare air field. Sure you can get it sideways and have fun but unless you are a Finnish rally driver and can powerslide round a corner it actually understeers more than a FWD car.

I'd be in any M3 bar the E36 every time....These cars (each generation E30, E46, E90/93) are simply pound for pound, the best cars on the planet.

Similar Thread Suggestions