The crunchy 197

Q2 2020

Cue lockdown!
We were all booked on the Circuit Days trackday over at the 'ring. That obviously got cancelled because of Covid... letdown. Bought a Cup Spoiler to try and cheer myself up a little.

200502.jpg

Roll forward to Q3, and UK restrictions started lifting.
We all managed to get booked on Cadwell with Javelin. Fantastic weather all day, though we did all get a telling off for causing traffic, and i got another bollocking for clipping one of the floppy cones which they red flagged for some reason.
This Subaru was mildly annoying. Took 4 laps for him to realise that he needed to lift off on the straights in order to let me past.

We also bumped into another lad with a 200, who just so happened to be the guy who runs Volantech. I did nearly make a dick of myself and went up the back end of him though.... doesn't even look that close on the video!

200701 (5).jpg

200701 (2).jpg

200701 (6).jpg

Quick trip up to Croft in September for the RSOC event again. Not many pics of this which was a bit of a letdown

200722 (2).jpg.

This brings us right up to date now. My alternator decided to break overnight whilst the car was parked in the unit. Thought i'd try replacing the regulator first, and luckily for me it sorted the no charging issue - here's the part if anyone is interested https://www.autodoc.co.uk/as-pl/10666465

Unluckily for me, i spotted that my Ktec AC delete kit had somehow managed to snap the 2 bolts for the bracket. Absolutely no idea how or when this happened, nor how the alternator was still spinning properly. Spoke to Ktec and they're sending me some new hardware out :smile:

2.jpg

The missus absolutely moaning her arse off that she wants the kitchen tiling, meant that i did the right thing and bought................. @massivewangers R3 intake. Definitely in the bad books with her, but i'm sure she will get over it. Still trying to find an air filter for it, as it really begrudges me paying the price for a Green Cotton one.

1.jpg

The 5 of us also bought some Gaz's to chuck on. Spent most of Friday afternoon and Saturday last week fitting them. Seem to have a few clearance issues on the passenger rear for some reason. There's about half an inch clearance on the drivers side.

4.jpg

Attempting to corner weigh. Seem's that with my fat arse on board, the drivers front is showing a 63% imbalance across the front axle, meaning that i would have to have the ride height on the remaining corners massively higher.... After pissing around with it for an age, i just settled with a 50% cross weight and the car running level and at the same height as the cup racers. This bought about it's own problems.
1. i can no longer use the alignment gear we have (as it hooks over the top of the tyre)
and we soon discovered
2. there is no more adjustment in the track rods in order to get the wheel anywhere near parallel or toeing out.

5.jpg

6.jpg

First time i've attempted doing an alignment using string. Was surprised at how simple it is to do once you've set up properly. Though it is a bit of a pain in the dick rolling round on the floor adjusting everything.
Plan of action for this weekend is to strip the track rods off to see if there is enough thread on the rods to give a good engagement in the rod end if i take 5mm off the end.

Looking great Nath! Glad you finally put up a thread.

Also regarding people who indicate to give way but carry on accelerating, really gets on my tits!

Will be class with the airbox on!

Car looks mint on the black speedlines! Do you run spacers?
Yeah it’s got either 19 or 20mm ones on which the previous owner fitted. I need to get them refurbished at some point, cus they’re quite rough.
Was thinking of doing one set silver and the other black.

Also been thinking about dropping down to 10mm ones (particularly at the front) at some point to try and reduce some of the scrub radius.

Cars looking good, hopefully see you on track at some point
Cheers bud. Yeah we will have to organise something with the rest of the lads and all the other trackday goers on here.
The cold and wet weather will be here shortly with all the mega cheap trackdays.
Can’t believe how many are fully booked!

I got excited when I got the notification, I thought you might have fitted the air box lol
Not just yet. I’ve got a Dacia header tank and ordered a 7 quid filter off eBay earlier which I think should fit it. Yet to buy a battery though.
You’ve kinda ruined that as I was hoping you were gonna be the lithium guinea pig.

Looking great Nath! Glad you finally put up a thread.

Also regarding people who indicate to give way but carry on accelerating, really gets on my tits!

Will be class with the airbox on!
Yeah I’m hoping the airbox will free ponies up. It needs a remap at some point really.

The red clio which I sold in the post above managed to overtake me on the hill at Cadwell, even though he had a passenger and full interior :sleepy:

Yeah they’re fully booked it’s mental at how quick they go...

Let me know which dates you’re looking at booked and I’ll try and come along

Not just yet. I’ve got a Dacia header tank and ordered a 7 quid filter off eBay earlier which I think should fit it. Yet to buy a battery though.
You’ve kinda ruined that as I was hoping you were gonna be the lithium guinea pig.

£7 for the filter?! What's it from?

I am still a bit gutted that I couldn't fit it. I'm sure it will be much better than my home brew thing!

£7 for the filter?! What's it from?

I am still a bit gutted that I couldn't fit it. I'm sure it will be much better than my home brew thing!
Just some old stock on eBay. I cross referenced the numbers of the green cotton ones and that sent me to a list of ones on eBay.
One listing was for a mk2 Astra, and the other for a 350z. Had a look online and the sizes seem to be right, so thought I may aswell take a punt at it for how cheap they are.

I messaged the company that made the box via WhatsApp, and had some amusing Spanish Google translator conversation with them, only for them to say ‘green cotton’

Reactions: massivewangers
We are provisionally booked on to Anglesey on the 13th of next month (Javelin)
Just waiting for them to get back to my mate as he’s booked the day before by mistake. Just need them to change it over.

A track we’ve never been before. Scenery looks fantastic, and they also change the layout after dinner time.

Great driving on the track, just shows how you kept up with the scoob no problems in the corners. was all over him

So for some reason, on my car the rear passenger coilover is really tight up against the inside of the arch. No one seems to of had this issue, so I rectified it with a grinder and hammer.

637DAD98-0958-40DB-9774-03A0120F71F3.jpeg

577906B8-DE6E-476A-938E-F529A62B0941.jpeg

Another thing which only seems to affect our cars since fitting the coilovers, is even with the track rods adjusted all the way in, both wheels were toeing in massively. Remedied this by chopping 5mm of thread off the rods.

CEEAA642-63E5-435C-B2FB-1394BDDFD3E1.jpeg

Got a used alternator bracket off eBay to replace the one with the snapped pins in from my relocation kit.
Used my new die grinder to add some clearance to make it easier to fit a new belt on the side of the road if it ever flung off

29A15CFB-31BA-44FF-857B-42C9AE4C207C.jpeg

Also got the rest of it built back up, and thought I’d try fitting a Sparco seat Ben had bought for his. It’s absolutely massive which is perfect cus so I am I. Absolutely no way he’ fit it in his as he has a full cage.

It even makes my XL Corbeau look small.

59235620-7D13-4442-A2DC-4F4C1D3E93B9.jpeg

30AA3201-20A3-496C-AA3B-0FCD38E28140.jpeg

3417FA9B-77BD-4F5B-BCC0-DE1D6EE48C6F.jpeg

Can’t believe the issues you’ve been having.. had the car had some front end damage at all