Swapping Recaros to standard seats and airbag lights?

I've currently got the car up for sale, however if it doesnt sell privately then i am thinking about removing the Recaros and replacing them with standard 197 seats and trading the car in.

What problems will i encounter? I presume the airbag light will be lit because of the seat change, what options do i have to get around this? I presume a simple resistor in the wires to the seat side airbags?

:smile:

Last edited:
I don't know about the mechanics of a swap but I've got mint standard seats in my 13k miler and would be VERY interested in a my seats plus cash deal for your Recaro's. I'm located near Pontefract.

PM me if it's of interest.

J3FVW - will bare that offer in mind :smile: I know of a set of standard seats for £200 so it just got me thinking given the fact removing the Recaros doesnt effect the trade in price.

I've just found out that the standard seats also have side airbags which i didnt realise, so i guess it would be a case of connecting the wires under the seat and simply having two spare ones that would ordinarily be for the anti-submarine airbag :smile:

Wiring diagram or colour codes anyone??? :smile:

In case of clio200, standard seat has a side airbag and an unti-submarine airbag.
Your airbag controller for recaros (which does not have unti-submarine airbag) is
different from the one for standard seats, so maybe you cant use airbags of the
standard seats with your controller.
If it is ok that the airbags of the standard seats dont work, you can put a resister
to the wires for side airbags.

Another problem is a seat position sensor and a seat belt sensor for the driver's seat.
You must swap seat rail (which have seat position sensors) and seat belt catch to
the standard seats subframes.

some good points raised here!

standard seats to recaros is ok if you use the resistors in the air bag wiring

as for recaros to standard seats.....could be issues....has it been done before
not sure

i have my standard seats in the house - if you want to have a look at the wiring let me know your welcome to call and have a nosey :tongueout:roud:

have a look si mate cus im thinking of doing the same

it could be the air bag computer thats the issue or the software

but wasnt it mentioned somewhere on here that the looms are different if recaros are specced from new...

I really can't see there being a problem. The loom going to the seat also goes pretty much everywhere in the inside of the car. Can't see Renault making 2 versions just for different seat options. The subframes are obviously different as well as seat looms themselves so as long as your getting seats including looms and subframes I cant see a problem personally. Just plug and play

oh balls. recaro's have side bags. they just dont have anti sub bags if i remember rightly i reckon you could just put a resitor over the wires and have done with it.

I really can't see there being a problem. The loom going to the seat also goes pretty much everywhere in the inside of the car. Can't see Renault making 2 versions just for different seat options. The subframes are obviously different as well as seat looms themselves so as long as your getting seats including looms and subframes I cant see a problem personally. Just plug and play

well theres one way to find out....

Working at Renault is a bonus as I'd just tell the car is hasn't got one or another function anymore so it won't show high resistance on that circuit! :wink:

Working at Renault is a bonus as I'd just tell the car is hasn't got one or another function anymore so it won't show high resistance on that circuit! :wink:

exactly - but some guys on here have been turned down by dealers wanting this done whereas others have had it done

Think we are a very lenient dealer as long as the customer is aware of the after effects then if that's what they want and it's just the flick of a few buttons why shouldn't we help out?

Think we are a very lenient dealer as long as the customer is aware of the after effects then if that's what they want and it's just the flick of a few buttons why shouldn't we help out?

yep - i think the right approach and an easy few quid to be honest!

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

In theory, the side airbag on the Recaro and the standard seat could well be the same resistance, so would be just a case of connecting the wires up (in the correct polarity of course!)

Not bothered about the seatbelt light/bleep, i've already disconnected that under the seat as its annoying, it was only two wires to where the seatbelt clips in. The car needed to see an open circuit when the car was moving, pulling the plug apart does it, easy! :bounce:

Whats this about :

Another problem is a seat position sensor and a seat belt sensor for the driver's seat.
You must swap seat rail (which have seat position sensors) and seat belt catch to
the standard seats subframes.

The recaro doesnt have this? Have the oem seats got another sensor i wasnt aware of?

i think the cup recaro are different from FF recaro as i was asked this after fitting my recaros when i took it to renault to get the ecu reconfigured to the seats.

you sure because some one on here tried to fit cup recaros to FF and couldnt get the airbag light off.