suspect noisy dephaser pulley!!

chris1888-197

Paid Member
Last couple of weeks I have went out to start the car and have had a really noisy rattle coming from engine and goes away after 5 seconds, think it sounds like dephaser on its way out!!! Only problem is it does not happen all the time so hard to get someone to start it for me to pin point the noise!! Anyone had this issue ??

I have this every now and then, literally maybe once a month at the most. Last about a second on initial start up.

I've not bothered putting much thought into it to be honest as it does it so rarely and doesn't seem to cause any issues.

I used to get this if I parked in a certain spot on my driveway. I suspect what is happening is the dephaser is being drained of oil (by being parked on a funny angle) and the noise is as it is refilling.

Do you park on a slope by any chance? If so, try parking the other way around to see if it stops.

Chris

I used to get this if I parked in a certain spot on my driveway. I suspect what is happening is the dephaser is being drained of oil (by being parked on a funny angle) and the noise is as it is refilling.

Do you park on a slope by any chance? If so, try parking the other way around to see if it stops.

Chris

A dont park on a slope bud but my exact thinking that maybe oil was low meaning oil taking a second more to get top end. Def sound like dephaser pulley.

Oh and I've had this happen three times on my twingo rs over the past 9 months. One time it was horrendous I thought the engine was going to fall out haha. Switched the engine off and back on again and it's been fine ever since

Mine does this if I don't reverse on to my drive. Definitely something to do with the oil draining out. The drive is steep and the car has to be parked up for hours for it to happen. I just always park it the right way nose lower than ass and it hasn't happened since :smile:

oil cannot easily drain back from the dephaser due to the spool valve in the head...

might be worth taking the top timing cover off over the intake side and checking it out

oil cannot easily drain back from the dephaser due to the spool valve in the head...

might be worth taking the top timing cover off over the intake side and checking it out
Do you mean there may be a blockage or something Fox ? Not really done anything mechanical on the 197 yet

Do you mean there may be a blockage or something Fox ? Not really done anything mechanical on the 197 yet

Either that, or the valve sticking!!! I have not done anything timing yet on the 197 either mate. Hope its nothing like the new ford variable valve timing set up on the eco boost engines, you need alot of specail tools for that!!!

Either that, or the valve sticking!!! I have not done anything timing yet on the 197 either mate. Hope its nothing like the new ford variable valve timing set up on the eco boost engines, you need alot of specail tools for that!!!

majority of modern engines are like that now...most have some form of vvt either on inlet or both...and keyway-less construction

as for the 197 - the spool valve is in the head near to the timing cover end/no1 spark plug - just unbolt and lift it out
it will when off stop oil from draining back and of course dephasing the cams due to no oil pressure - if it goes faulty it can throw up
and ecu fault code

majority of modern engines are like that now...most have some form of vvt either on inlet or both...and keyway-less construction

as for the 197 - the spool valve is in the head near to the timing cover end/no1 spark plug - just unbolt and lift it out
it will when off stop oil from draining back and of course dephasing the cams due to no oil pressure - if it goes faulty it can throw up
and ecu fault code

No probs [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] thanks for the info mate. Most later cars I have done the timing belts on have had , what you said some sort of vvt. New eco boost engine you need a fair few timing tools to do the job.