Suggestions for a clio 197 suspension upgrade

Cup dampers are reasonably cheap - could go for a OEM Cup suspension all round?

If you want to spend some money but not too much have a look at some Yellow Speed coilovers for £800.

Reactions: davidlee69uk
If you’re not going on track, I’d be spending my money on freshening up all OEM bushes, mountings and ball joints, getting the OEM springs checked and powder coated and sticking on a set of new OEM dampers. Maybe considering a slight drop on the ride height with aftermarket springs if you want to go lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your goal David? What are you trying to achieve?

I would strongly advice against going CUP for the road - they are harsh and don't cope well with bumpy roads. My car is an R27 and believe it or not I'm running the same setup as yours - 197 non cup. I find them beautiful for the road in all honesty, compliant enough for a focused hot hatch yet again they offer very good body control when on a spirited drive. My ideal kit would be the 200 non cup but I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere...

Going just springs is also a no no for me, it doesn't matter how premium the brand is, the fact of the matter is that you chop damper travel and that can only have a negative impact for the road.

I haven't tried any of the reasonably priced coilovers apart from HR and bilstein, HR are shite and Bilstein are too stiff for the road and too soft for the track - they truly messed it up there. IMO Bilstein should be able to offer different kits for different purposes, a track and a road setup for instance. One fits all is definitely not the case with items on this price level.

What is your goal David? What are you trying to achieve?

I would strongly advice against going CUP for the road - they are harsh and don't cope well with bumpy roads. My car is an R27 and believe it or not I'm running the same setup as yours - 197 non cup. I find them beautiful for the road in all honesty, compliant enough for a focused hot hatch yet again they offer very good body control when on a spirited drive. My ideal kit would be the 200 non cup but I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere...

Yiannis197, is that because you're looking for second-hand sets people have removed and there are none about?

Or you can't find the 200 non-Cup set up because Renault and their OEM after-market suppliers no longer stock/can get the 200 non-Cup springs and dampers?

I was truly dismayed by the 200 Cup set up on my 200 FF compared to the compliancy of my 182 Trophy on British country roads.

I wrote a thread on this forum enquiring what would be sensible to replace the 200 Cup set up with. Seemed it was the non-Cup...like you, I find the Cup set up too 'crashy' for the UK's poorly surfaced roads.

The best set up is with the compliancy that allows you to press on without it feeling like the front turrets are going to pop up through the bonnet when it gets bumpy and you can feel the road surface being soaked up, rather than smashing the surface into submission - which is what the 200 Cup set up seems to do to me.

I understand this level of compliancy is the kind of exercise that Litchfield have done to the new GR-Yaris with their aftermarket suspension set up. That said, an additional ~£3,000 on suspension for a brand new car is quite punchy!

Reactions: Yiannis197
Yeap, exactly that^^ @ShantiT

I can not find any pre 2010 non cup kit to fit on my car and to be honest I can't even find out where to buy it new - acolour codes on dampers and springs for pre and after 2010 are the same so I don't know how the non cup 200 is actually softer than then non cup 197...no idea. I'd love to see the colour strips on a OEM non 200 cup just out of curiosity.

Let's face it - when it comes to suspension, cheap items can not perform like a premium damper. The Sachs damper on the 182 trophy is a peach but of course - and like all premium items - needs to be regularly serviced to be on top of its game. And that is why the 182 trophy is considered to be one of the best OEM setups overall - chuck an expensive kit on the 197 and you are up for a treat.

Litchfied seems to have done a superb job with the Nitrons and I did something similar to my clio back in the day (2 way AST 5200 with digressive pistons, bespoke rates and remote canisters). It completely transformed the car. But as you say, at a price. For what's worth, the OEM non cup suspension is really good for the road - it retains a very good body control and I believe it's valved and spring matched beautifully. Let's not forget that Renault did the cup for the track, not for the road - and when you have to keep the budget within a specific range you can't work miracles.

Reactions: GeorgeG and ShantiT
I have some cup suspension for sale, brought from a member on here but ended up buying some coil overs before I’d fitted the cup suspension.
It’ll be the same top mounts as yours I think.

Hi, new owner here with a 197 non cup.
I am in rural N.Wales and i find the non-cup set up a very good compromise in the narrow lanes. The front end sometimes feels lazy/tired (fast bump) but i am planning to do a full refresh as suggested above first. I know though that i will end up looking for coilovers after few months.
I am a bit puzzled though how come and ohlins dont offer a dfv application for us (had them on my previous car) and in general the limited offering for non track use. I am intrigued by the nitron but if i go up to the 3k mark i think reigers or ohlins from the access is a one way ticket