Strange turbo like sound...

Ryster

Paid Member
So had my gearbox changed, and now I have a strange noise when the car goes up to 7k in second.

The noise doesn't happen when changing gear at low revs, but whenever I push it on a bit and get towards 7k, as soon as I depress the clutch I get what sounds like a turbo spinning sort of sound then when the clutch is released it disappears. Same happens in fourth gear as well. Any ideas what this could be? Can't remember if the sound was there pre gearbox tbh but it doesn't sound healthy and does sound very 'mechanical'.

Obviously I'll be taking it back to the garage but I want to be armed with a bit of information beforehand.

thanks guys.

Well probably should've had a new thrust bearing put in :worried: surprised teu didn't recommend it at the time, they don't cost a lot and makes sense to change it since the box is off anyway, if it is I can't see the garage accepting responsibility and you'll hae to pay for the box to come out again,

If I was getting a new box if probably change clutch and thrust bearing as it's about an extra 10mins works to save a couple of hours if it fails later on. Sorry to bring bad news but It may not even be the bearing I'm not an expert just a keen diyer haha

Well probably should've had a new thrust bearing put in :worried: surprised teu didn't recommend it at the time, they don't cost a lot and makes sense to change it since the box is off anyway, if it is I can't see the garage accepting responsibility and you'll hae to pay for the box to come out again,

If I was getting a new box if probably change clutch and thrust bearing as it's about an extra 10mins works to save a couple of hours if it fails later on. Sorry to bring bad news but It may not even be the bearing I'm not an expert just a keen diyer haha

I won't be paying, the car is still under the 4 year Renault warrenty and it's only done 9k miles so they can ram any 'wear and tear' crap lol
I'll get onto them on Monday morning.