Strange paint surface feel

So been out polishing the car this evening and noticed that on the top of both front wings it feels rough on the back of the hand. It carries on back onto the door about 8" and in a teardrop shape. I've tried claying it but made no difference so can't be contaminants.
The rough patch is on both wings although it's worse on the drivers side.

What could've caused this? Factory paint defect? Just wind travelling over the wing? Anyone else got this?

Also so how would I fix this? Machine polish?

I wouldve taken pics but there's nothing to see :/ I have a gloss finish with no obvious scratches and when looking down the wing you cannot see the rough patch

This is *could be*, water or solvents under the lacquer, this can happen if the lacquer was applied before the base coat was properly dry (esp with water based base cotes like renault use). HOWEVER! it could also be over spray or dirt sitting on the paint ........had any spray work done? You should be able to see the roughness if you look at the right angle.

If its the former, it might also come and go with atmospheric conditons.......

So been out polishing the car this evening and noticed that on the top of both front wings it feels rough on the back of the hand. It carries on back onto the door about 8" and in a teardrop shape. I've tried claying it but made no difference so can't be contaminants.
The rough patch is on both wings although it's worse on the drivers side.

What could've caused this? Factory paint defect? Just wind travelling over the wing? Anyone else got this?

Also so how would I fix this? Machine polish?

I wouldve taken pics but there's nothing to see :/ I have a gloss finish with no obvious scratches and when looking down the wing you cannot see the rough patch

Well I initially Thot it was over spray as I had the nearside sill resprayed due to damage, but surely the claybar would have removed it wouldn't it? It removed the overspray from the wheels with ease and it's on both wings in exactly the same place :/ it's just above the vents and is maybe about 4" wide and stretches about 8" onto the door, maybe I need a tougher claybar I've only got the bilthamber soft, I'll see if I can find a detailer local to me to have a look.

Don't think it is a paint defect as I'm sure I would've noticed this before as I quite often stroke the paintwork after a good clean haha (don't we all?)

Possibly have to splash out for a machine polish, after all it will be her birthday in 4 weeks :smile: