STOP - “Low Battery” warning

littleg78

Paid Member
Alternator died on way to Thruxton last Sunday, and had it replaced by a local RAC approved garage.

Since then I consistently get the STOP low battery warning 13/14 minutes after starting the engine - doesn’t matter if it’s a cold start or engine off/on again, and doesn’t matter what accessories are turned on/off or if car is sat idling or being driven hard.

Battery is in good condition with 12.8v when engine off.
Alternator providing consistent 13.9v across the battery with engine on.
All accessories working correctly and car driving as it should!

I saw a thread that mentioned disconnecting the battery for an hour might fix, but when I reconnected fault was still present. Might try disconnecting battery for a couple of days - not sure if Clio has some kind of backup battery that needs to discharge for full “reset”.

Failing the above not really sure what to try next. As it’s a Meglio I’m not sure if using the original Clio 200 alternator, or one that came with the 225 engine. All the garage said is that the original had a single pin terminal, and the replacement had two pins. The replacement was a Bosch 110A for Megane 225.

I don’t have Clip but thought that might shed some light once the faults active on the car?

Other than this niggling problem she’s in super shape so keen to get fixed for peace of mind before Cadwell next month!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    855.2 KB · Views: 3
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure I remember my meglio used the clio alternator as I was told using the megane one threw a battery light. Might be something worth investigating, maybe a phonecall to rs tuning etc

Reactions: littleg78
Thanks - that’s helpful, the consistent 13 mins feels like maybe a comms/software thing, and from my very limited google research it looks like Meg and Clio might use different protocols DFM vs. BSS respectively.

If I can find a used and working Clio alternator might be worth a punt as a test… assuming they both fit the same.

Reactions: Sean197
I've read this up - There's 2 wires that look similar on the clio vs the meg lumps but I believe you need to swap the wires with the oil temperature plug or something along those lines.... Just looking for the link now and will post it when I've found it...

Thanks - that’s helpful, the consistent 13 mins feels like maybe a comms/software thing, and from my very limited google research it looks like Meg and Clio might use different protocols DFM vs. BSS respectively.

If I can find a used and working Clio alternator might be worth a punt as a test… assuming they both fit the same.

These threads seem to confirm what I thought. Clio alternator would definitely be worth a try.

Reactions: littleg78
Totally out my depth technically and getting more confused again :smile:

From the first thread: “I replaced the Megane original Alternator with the one that came off the 197 lump, although the Meg one is 1 pin and the Clio one is 2 pin, and you have to split the main battery cable from the main loom and reroute it slightly it does go on and it does work”.

The garage that replaced the dead alternator said the original had 1 pin (which could have been megane?) and the replacement had 2 pins but was definitely for megane (Bosche 0986080330). Unless maybe a 2012 200 had a single pin alternator like megane…

From the second thread “You need to swap the whole auxiliary setup over, air con the lot then it fits fine

Way beyond my capabilities at this point and would have to call in a professional if needed!

Still tempted to try to just swap out for a used one from a 2009+ Clio just to see if it works… it really shouldn’t be this difficult

Totally out my depth technically and getting more confused again :smile:

From the first thread: “I replaced the Megane original Alternator with the one that came off the 197 lump, although the Meg one is 1 pin and the Clio one is 2 pin, and you have to split the main battery cable from the main loom and reroute it slightly it does go on and it does work”.

The garage that replaced the dead alternator said the original had 1 pin (which could have been megane?) and the replacement had 2 pins but was definitely for megane (Bosche 0986080330). Unless maybe a 2012 200 had a single pin alternator like megane…

From the second thread “You need to swap the whole auxiliary setup over, air con the lot then it fits fine

Way beyond my capabilities at this point and would have to call in a professional if needed!

Still tempted to try to just swap out for a used one from a 2009+ Clio just to see if it works… it really shouldn’t be this difficult

I didn't swap the whole aux stuff over, just the clio alternator which came off my original n/a engine, never had any issues.

I didn't swap the whole aux stuff over, just the clio alternator which came off my original n/an engine, never had any issues.
Thanks Sean, with no hard evidence my gut’s telling me the fault is because the engine management system isn’t getting feedback from the alternator for a period of time… now to find one!

Thanks Sean, with no hard evidence my gut’s telling me the fault is because the engine management system isn’t getting feedback from the alternator for a period of time… now to find one!

Took some bits off the car in an attempt to get access but still very tight! No idea how to remove belt etc so time for some YouTube training :wink:

Interesting spade connection - looks like it should be fairly easy to attach to the pin on the next one.

IMG_7139.jpegIMG_7142.pngIMG_7132.jpeg

Reactions: Sean197
Now that I’ve got some photos… depending on accuracy of the diagram, it looks like the wire below might be connected to the Lamp pin instead of the Field Monitoring pin, which I think means the ECU wouldn’t get any feedback.

Could have totally wrong end of stick, but I think worth a quick test before ordering another part.

D86FC5EF-79F9-4DB6-BAF7-A797655828AB-COLLAGE.jpeg

Swapping pins made zero difference :worried:

So the old one had to come out… really don’t want to have to do that again, and installing will probably be harder than taking out… so I REALLY hope the next one I try is good!

IMG_7152.jpeg