steering wheel spacer?

Bloody hell this thread is excellent! Just seen it:smile:

Giacomo fair play to you mate, this is something I'll be looking to buy in the future as I'm 1.85 and therefore the driving position is not ideal. I suppose you know Simo right? He sold me a pair of camber adjustable top mounts ages ago.

Any pictures and feedback from the people who fitted it then?

Kevin, turn the wheel upside down and ask a mate to pull the airbag while you are forcing the spring down. This way you can apply more force to the spring.

Hello,
thank you everybody.

It's not a question of force on the spring, it's a question of the correct tool used for catching the spring.

You have to use a flat-blade screwdriver, previous grinded to make the terminal straight border of the blade looking as an "U".
In this way it will be much easier hooking the spring and it will take 2 minutes dismantling the airbag and the steering wheel.

Hello,
thank you everybody.

It's not a question of force on the spring, it's a question of the correct tool used for catching the spring.

You have to use a flat-blade screwdriver, previous grinded to make the terminal straight border of the blade looking as an "U".
In this way it will be much easier hooking the spring and it will take 2 minutes dismantling the airbag and the steering wheel.

I think he means cutting a groove in it to locate on the spring.

Thank you everybody. I'm in China for work now. I'll be back in the end of Jan.
I'm developing the 182 spacer. Yes, the cabla has to be cutted and re-welded longer.

I've not read through it all but have you actually pulled the steering wheel towards you it comes in and out up and down ?

I've not read through it all but have you actually pulled the steering wheel towards you it comes in and out up and down ?

The steering wheel comes closer to the driver of about 5 cm (2 inches) and keep this new distance fixed. The regulation of the wheel in vertical direction (towards the roof or towards your legs) is still available after fixing my spacer. :smile:

Hi Guys, just installed the spacer today and I can say, it is the best !! Giacomo did a perfect job making the spacer and after my payment it arrived at my house a few days later. Great service !
Installing it was not too hard. As a number of people mentioned, the airbag is a bit of a pain in the a... And I had to extend a few wires, not even all of them. So after a few hours work all was done. The driving position improved dramatically and I think I won't even change the height of the Recaro's anymore. I like it the way it is now.

So thanks Giacomo for your invention and I can recommend it to anyone!

Reactions: sevenfourate
today, after 5 years ownership of a Dacia Logan Pickup, I decided to see if the spacer fits Dacia also...
Well, it does, just remove the 2 wings and it is straight fit.
Next step is find Clio seats and steering wheel :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 42