Steering Rack

Whats wrong with it now?

Haha

The same thing thats been wrong with it for 18 months lol.

However.

I took the service manager out, made it knock a handful of times (eventually...it never does it on demand does it!) hes agreed the rack is the last component to replace, so its being done today. Im guessing they'd already anticipated doing it as i was under the impression they already have the part sat waiting.

Along with a new door handle, cup spoiler, door 3/4 seals and air bag light looking into....she be a brand new car after this!

And after all the hassle, i want to upgrade to a 250 now.

Bit gutted really as id have loved to fit the KWs and the spacers as she'd have looked amazing.

My 200 is going in at a different dealer tommorow.. I hope they can diagnose it properly this time.

The comment a couple of pages before regarding the clunk when first turning the wheel after the car had been sitting in the sun makes me think I do have a faulty rack, after all.

Now let's see if this extended warranty is all its cracked up to be...

Lower universal joint has just been replaced on my twingo 133. I had no idea what part this was but it's the section you can see behind the pedals in the footwell probably about .75m in length. There was a clunk you could feel through your feet when moving the wheel from side to side when parked or driving very slow i.e. under 5mph. Had this replaced under warranty would have been around £300 including fitting. It has completely changed the steering! No more vagueness, and the turning circle is significantly improved! The steering can now turn more to the left and right. So much more smoother and no knocking!!!

I have no idea about the rs clios, but maybe worth having that part checked. Mine was visibly corroded and rusted. New part is painted black (it definitely was replaced and not just painted as I inspected the removed part)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, the dealer ordered a new rack with the cost being covered almost fully by the extended warranty. I expect a 10 day delay since the part isn't in stock anywhere in Greece (!)

Let's hope this solves the problem.

Rack replaced today. Unfortunately due to urgent business I couldn't pick up the car today - I'm gonna pick it up first thing tomorrow morning.

The mechanic told me over the phone that the problem seems to be fixed. However I won't be convinced until I try it for myself.

Fingers crossed...

That's what I thought too, but apparently I was wrong, they said there is a clause somewhere in the contract where it states that I have to pay a small percentage of the price of the part. I'll know more tomorrow.

Tell them it's Not Fit For Purpose and its a known fault and they should pay you for the inconvence and time.Or replace the car for you just play hard ball that how I got mine changed good luck

In the last 12 months I've replaced both the NSF lower and up ball joints, also a link on the suspension was replaced due to it being perished.

Past 3-4 weeks the cars developed loose steering, doesn't feel particually confidence inspiring going into corners..

I've booked the car into a local reputable garage and hoping they'll find out.

What could it be in everyones opinion though? Worth mentioning there's also a knocking sound when coming off small speed bumps/drain covers etc..

That's what I thought too, but apparently I was wrong, they said there is a clause somewhere in the contract where it states that I have to pay a small percentage of the price of the part. I'll know more tomorrow.

This is not correct. Are we talking about the Renault extended warranty or a third party warranty company? If on Renault warranty, you pay only the investigation - should the fault is not obvious of course - but parts and labour is 100% free. I've done 4 claims on extended warranty so far, didn't pay a penny.

You have to pay a small amount to get warranty on those parts replaced..

I don't think so mate. Never given such an option but know for certain that the new (replaced) parts have 12 months warranty anyway.

Last edited:
This is not correct. Are we talking about the Renault extended warranty or a third party warranty company? If on Renault warranty, you pay only the investigation - should the fault is not obvious of course - but parts and labour is 100% free. I've done 4 claims on extended warranty so far, didn't pay a penny.

I don't think so mate. Never given such an option but know for certain that the new (replaced) parts have 12 months warranty anyway.

The extended warranty is offered by a third-party (an insurance company). However, today they told me that I will not be paying anything after all :smile:

Also, while I don't want to speak too soon, it seems the problem appears to be solved.

And it seems like the steering has a better feel to it, although that could be a placebo effect...

The extended warranty is offered by a third-party (an insurance company)

Correct. But you still buy/renew it through Renault so you shouldn't pay a penny (0 excess) should anything goes wrong (unless of course the problem needs to be investigated as I mentioned above).

Glad you got it sorted mate.