Steering Rack

And it was an easy fix? lol

Was for me I had a latte and left them to it.

What was the fix, Mentalpen?

Like the Mk2 meg it was a bolt on the rack, it should NOT be be tightened but over tightened and glued in place.

As soon as I demoed it the tech knew straight away what was wrong without even looking at it.

It had only been doing it for a few miles so hasn't caused any secondary issues. I think it's the fact that its not been done and they think the bolt is on correct which it is. But it is supposed to be over tightened and glued if it causes an issue.

Not knowing that seems to lead you been sent away saying its all ok, that then leads to more issues as it continues not being correct.

Like the Mk2 meg it was a bolt on the rack, it should NOT be be tightened but over tightened and glued in place.

As soon as I demoed it the tech knew straight away what was wrong without even looking at it.

Isnt it strange how yours got diagnosed instantly when i had to go through about 14months of complaining before they even suggested that.

Now find me a perfect spec 250!

Was for me I had a latte and left them to it.

It had only been doing it for a few miles so hasn't caused any secondary issues. I think it's the fact that its not been done and they think the bolt is on correct which it is. But it is supposed to be over tightened and glued if it causes an issue.

Not knowing that seems to lead you been sent away saying its all ok, that then leads to more issues as it continues not being correct.

What's weird is that there is no ACTIS solution posted for this problem with the Clio 197/200.

On the Megane II it was one of the more common faults and every dealer had the adhesive kit.

However, with the Clio it's up to the dealer to choose which solution to apply.

Either way, I don't believe my clunk is related to the bolt down at the pedals, this produces a very audible metallic knock (there are videos on youtube), in my case the knock is not so much heard as felt. You can even feel it at the pedals, which leads me to believe its something under the dark that's moving about when it shouldn't.

Has anyone else noticed their clunk being pretty much non-existent when the car is still cold and then gradually rearing its ugly head when it gets hot? (Either due to weather or warming up) It's especially bad now that summer is upon us.

Reactions: Millz78
Had my new rack fitted yesterday and it seems to have cured the slight clunk but more importantly vagueness through the steering. I have only driven the car to work so not really driven in anger but will give it a proper run out tonight.

He couldn't find any signs of wear on the sleeve that joints to the UJ or anywhere else on the rack so suggested it would be an internal issue.

My symptoms were as follows:

Steering varied in weight one day it would be quite heavy the next very light and vauge

Didn't feel very well connected with the road

Slight knock more felt then heard through the steering wheel

Knock when car had been sitting in the sun and turning the steering wheel for the first time

Will keep you updated if anything changes but hopefully this is of some use to people.

Good news if you're feeling a difference! Same weight in the steering? If you don't mind, do you have details of who carried out the work and a rough idea of the cost? Might be useful to others on here too.

Steering feels slightly heavier overall but as I say with the old rack it was heavy sometimes and light others. Just generally more positive and feels smoother lock to lock.

Work was conducted by diamond motors in long eaton, great guy and knows alot about renaults, owns and tracks a Clio 172. Cost was £425 fitted but this was with a Renault refurb rack and he did for me at cost price to him with just the labour on top.

Thanks for the information.

I'm experiencing some different symptoms, which make me unsure that mine is a faulty steering rack. I'm going to have a FULL strip and check next week to clear that up. The car is otherwise absolutely mint, I just need to get this sorted!

Thanks for the information.

I'm experiencing some different symptoms, which make me unsure that mine is a faulty steering rack. I'm going to have a FULL strip and check next week to clear that up. The car is otherwise absolutely mint, I just need to get this sorted!

Did Fred not find anything at all (saw your car in there a few weeks back)?

Mine has been getting noisier recently, had assumed it was the ball joints but friendly mechanic checked the whole front suspension over and the only issue he could find was the rack, which he thinks he can fix, so its going in next week.

I do, however, now have a really annoying vibration which I'm guessing is the exhaust hitting something after everything else has been checked and tightened.

I just drove my 200 after a week long trip abroad. It was parked in a garage, so it had stayed out of the sun and today was pretty cloudy.

Guess what... no steering clunk for the 30 minutes or so I drove around in it.

If the car had been left in the sun I would be getting more clunks than I could count. How is that possible!?

Did Fred not find anything at all (saw your car in there a few weeks back)?

Nope, full front suspension check and everything was perfect. Obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, so it's comforting at least!

Checking it over tomorrow, for my own peace of mind. But if Fred hasn't spotted anything it's highly unlikely I will lol.

Hi there, is the steering rack something I will have to eventually replace in the car? I'm running a Jan 2008 197 with 40k on the clock. I have the same problem as everyone else seems to be having, albeit not as bad, it's very minor.

luck of the draw, not all seem to suffer, the knocking could be anything until checked over

100th time lucky Marshall?!

On another note, checked my suspension thoroughly today, seems absolutely spot on! No issues at all. Could just be 'one of those things'.