Starter motor - Clicking noise - Fixed

LiamRS197

Paid Member
Looking for a little advice, recently when trying to start my clio I'm met with a clicking noise when trying to turn over.... and nothing the car won't start. I've checked and charged the battery several times so don't believe this to be the fault, which leads me to think that the starter motor could be b**locked.

I've tried rocking the car in gear see if that makes a difference (read this somewhere) and unfortunately it doesn't, the car does jump start no problem at all however.

The reason I'm looking for the starter motor location is that I am thinking of giving it a persuasive tap to 'free' it off as a temporary fix which may not be the answer but worth a try.

Any help guys would be appreciated :smile:

The car starts when you jumpstart it from another car? Or do you mean bump start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also be the crank sensor, very similar symptoms when it goes

it jump starts....then check the battery again - get some voltage readings good batttery 12.5-12.8 no more than 2 volts drop when trying to crank

Reactions: LiamRS197
Then its not the starter motor mate, did you jump it direct to negative and positive terminals on battery.

A broken starter tends to give you one loud click or nothing at all

A bad battery will give you multiple clicks from the starter solenoid.

Reactions: LiamRS197
Then its not the starter motor mate, did you jump it direct to negative and positive terminals on battery.

A broken starter tends to give you one loud click or nothing at all

A bad battery will give you multiple clicks from the starter solenoid.

Thanks for that mate. I did yeah.... this is multiple clicks like you have explained, and it never fires.

It's looking like the battery then, I brought one of those noco genius 5 battery units in the hope it would 'revive' the battery, doesn't seem to be the case though :weary: Couldn't be fuse related, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Barking up the wrong tree, get the battery changed and your be all good.

Its not the crank sensor. .

Reactions: Sean197
Like @Foxspeed said easiest way to check is get a voltmeter on the battery for proper verification.
It does indeed sound like the battery if it's jump starting, but literally takes seconds with a voltmeter.

Like @Foxspeed said easiest way to check is get a voltmeter on the battery for proper verification.
It does indeed sound like the battery if it's jump starting, but literally takes seconds with a voltmeter.

Cheers, I'll whack a voltmeter across it tomorrow and see what I'm getting

Reactions: suj
Also once you have jump started it / if you do change the battery, check the voltage with it running, it should be about 14.00-14.6v with nothing else on in the car (to act like a drain), if not then your alternator might be dying / dead (depending on how low it is).

Get a jump lead take it from the neg of the battery and earth it on a bolt on the engine and try firing it. If it starts fine its a crap earth

Get a jump lead take it from the neg of the battery and earth it on a bolt on the engine and try firing it. If it starts fine its a crap earth

He jump started it from the battery so that eliminates a earthing issue. Let us know how you get on

Reactions: Sean197
Just try earthing it battery to the engine I had the same problem at the weekend and it was down to a poor earth. Put a new earth in off the gearbox problem sorted.

Just try earthing it battery to the engine I had the same problem at the weekend and it was down to a poor earth. Put a new earth in off the gearbox problem sorted.

But why? He jump started the battery and it started? If it was an earth problem even a jump start surely wouldn't work?

He tried charging the battery, but if a cell is dead it will be down multiples of 2.1v down, so this means it's CCA will be too low the start the car, but as a jump start provides power from a running car of 14+v it started fine.

Reactions: RSRowe