Speedline help

Just got a good deal on some Speedlines. I believe they are 8j as they are stamped so. But.
On another spoke it says 7.5j??? Which one are they? And does this make a difference to tyre size?
they read going around.
- +++++11 and +++++12
- AISi7Mg
- SL1977 and SPEEDLINE
- 8200616058 B and 7.5J17 5CH68
- 8J17 5CH68
- renault logo.
Any help Thankx.

The Speedlines I have read 7.5 on one spoke and 8j on another. Does this mean mine are cup racer? @Gez they are the ones you sold me buddy.

They're cup racer Speedlines. They have the markings you describe.

Also being 8j wide the natural fit is a 225 tyre. A 215 will fit though they will get some stretch on it.

Yep, they're cup racer ones. The normal speedlines only have the 7.5j marking (or so my research indicated anyway).

I wish people would stop telling people that they are cup racers when they most probably are not.

All speedline wheels come with both 7.5j and 8j markings on them. It is basically a way of saving money so that the different wheels don't need to be stamped up.

The only way you can tell if they are 7.5j or 8j all comes down to what side of the wheel they have stamped an X in the hub. If it is on the side of the wheel with the 7.5j then it is 7.5j if it is on the side with the 8j then it is 8j.

I ended up buying some "cup racer wheels' from someone last year, ended up just being standard rims.

Whilst we are here!

A quick lesson on how to measure a wheel. The wheel shown below is the wheels i purchased of a member from here who was convinced they were 8j.

image_zps4b59b91c.jpg

When measuring a wheel diameter you measure from the inside of the bead not the outside. Thus a 7.5j wheel.

8j Stamp

DSC_0075_zps827ee523.jpg

7.5j stamp

DSC_0076_zps79141089.jpg

Last edited:
Just to clarify the above, next to the 7.5 or 8j markings in the wheels you'll see a raised circular mark about 10mm next to the markings, this is were the 'X' is stamped in.

The safest way is, as above the tape measure.