Slow throttle response?

Hi,

Just bought my first Clio 200 Cup, 4 days ago, so I’m a fresh egg when it comes to these cars, and so I’m also very new to the forum, in fact this is my first post.

Anyway, I’m wondering if I have an issue with my throttle, it seems a bit… un-responsive, at low speeds, for example when setting off out of a junction or taking it easy from a set of lights and when in stop/start traffic. Also seems to take a while for the revs to drop, say I rev from idle to 2000 or 3000, it drop back to idle slowly and seems to hold its rev between gear changes - every other car I’ve ever driven drop somewhat before getting it into the next gear.

Is this or has there been a common problem regarding this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

These cars can ‘kangaroo’ at low revs but this might be your throttle body, I would take it off and give it a clean.

Yeh, thanks for your reply, I’ve already experienced the ‘kangaroo’ effect you mention, both when the car is cold and up to temp. I did some research on that and removed the MAP, gave it a good clean with electrical cleaner and re-fitted with some RTV around the o-rings. It also has a moto-cnc clamp fitted by a previous owner. I’d say that’s improved slightly after cleaning, not had any kangarooing when warm since, only cold.

I’ll get the throttle body off and give it a good clean with some carb cleaner.

Is there anything else you recommend I clean while I’m at it? Even something not related to my initial problem but something that is common in causing future problems and worth me knowing.

Thanks

Do you have an OBD reader? It might be throttle pedal and/or connections but this will be stored as an error. Another possibility is brake/clutch sensors under the pedals but unlikely.

Ah ye, I'd forgotten to mention that I’d checked and cleaned the PCV at the same time as the MAP sensor. Turned out to be nice and clean, just some oil mist.

I’ll get the throttle body off for a clean and plug the OBD into it and see where I’m at then.

Reactions: LiamP