Slow cranking

Seems like my 197 is taking longer to fire up over the last week. It fired up pretty much instantly until a week ago.

Is this most likely the battery dying or is there anything else to look out for?

Battery is original - just over 5 years old
Spark plugs - changed 2 years ago
Fuel - got some v-power in it I think

Could be crank sensor, most people change them in other cases a clean may resolve the issue

Ive looked at at two clios that were slow cranking over and stall while coasting to a stop, removed the crank sensor, cleaned the tip of the sensor with wire whool and carb cleaner, also cleaned electrical connections, both cars fired up better and stopped stalling.

depends whether you mean 'slow' cranking or still cranking at the same speed except not firing.

If it's cranking over quick and normal this suggests the battery is fine..could be the TDC sensor. Not sure on the clio but usually a magnetic sensor using teeth/point on the flywheel, so fails altogether, not usually intermittent. Could be the wiring to it - get a multimeter on the wires and check for continuety.

If it's just plain slow cranking would suggest the battery - but, is the battery low as the alternator is on the way out..... Charge the battery first if this is the case, if it goes flat again could be the alternator or wiring or just a duff battery that won't hold the charge. Get a multimeter on the battery and check for voltage and voltage when cranking/charging.

*edit - and oh, don't rule out spark plugs, HT leads, coil etc. I would check all this. A slightly lose HT lead or dirty spark plug can make all the diff. Might be worth checking the fuel pump/pressures as well if the problem persists. Seen all of the above symptoms make a car slow to fire.

Last edited:
*edit - and oh, don't rule out spark plugs, HT leads, coil etc. I would check all this. A slightly lose HT lead or dirty spark plug can make all the diff.

good luck finding these on a 197 :thumbsup:

good luck finding these on a 197 :thumbsup:

meant general ignition system lol - ok..individual coils then in this case..

was just typing stuff coming in to my head from past problems with any car struggling to fire..

Last edited:
Cheers guys, need to fill the tank tomorrow so that'll rule out a dodgy tank of fuel.

Then will check the TDC sensor.

Cheers guys, need to fill the tank tomorrow so that'll rule out a dodgy tank of fuel.

Then will check the TDC sensor.

if you have an obd2 reader see if theres any cam sensor faults....

Cheers guys,

New tank of fuel and seems to have been much better since. Hoping it was just a dodgy tank.