Sky TV

Folk,

I'm looking at getting Sky installed and I'm confused as per usual...

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/build

If you click "Discover" on the Sky Entertainment Extra package you can see there are HD channels listed. I then went and added the £149 Sky+ HD 1TB box. When I click add I am then prompted for "take the HD Pack for access to up to 50 HD channels**"

the ** says "**The channels you receive with the HD Pack depend on your Sky TV package."

So does this mean although the channels are listed under the extra package you still need to pay for the channels?? If so what's the point of listing them??!!

It seems a bit of a scam that you need to pay an extra £10 for HD channels which are already included in your package?

Unless you plan on recording EVERYTHING then don't bother with the 1TB Box, just get the normal Sky+HD one which I think is free...

But yes, unfortunately, you have to pay £10 for the HD package. You don't get any extra channels as such, it just unlocks the HD version of the channels you have for you to watch. So if you have the Sports Package for example but you don't have the HD Package then you'll be able to watch Sky Sports in standard definition but not in HD. It is a bit of a con really, but it is worth it if you have a decent TV setup and you're into sports and documentaries. Discovery HD and National Geographic HD are something else.

You get the free hd channels tho. Bbc, itv etc.

I have the full works and have over 50 hd channels for £10 a month. I think its worth it. I hardly watch anything in standard def.

I just have the entertainment extra package plus HD. The movies sound like a great idea, but once you've caught up on all the recent movies, you may find you watch this channel less and less. That was certainly my experience.

Whether you get the standard HD box or the 1TB is up to you. If you think you'd like to keep anything recorded long-term - like a digital library - then 1TB may be for you. If you'll delete everything once you've watched them - then don't bother.

One final point is that if you like your F1, then it comes as a free extra channel 'once' you pay the monthly HD fee. Or £123 a year if not....

The HD channels are an option ontop of your other channels, it costs £10 a month. I'd be tempted to get the 1TB HD box if I was getting the package now, we fill ours quite a lot if we record everything in HD, if you record in standard def it holds loads though

Definitely take the HD pack, as it means you get the new F1 HD channel for free in March without subscribing to Sports. :smile:

Definitely take the HD pack, as it means you get the new F1 HD channel for free in March without subscribing to Sports. :smile:

this

although I'm not sure sky is good value anymore, I'd be tempted to go with Virgin if you can

We've got the full sky package including hd and multi room in our bedroom and, while it is great to have, it's not value for money.

A few months back though we were having a lot of building work done in the house so all the equipment was packed away for a few weeks and we only had freeview - that's when you realise how good it is to have it. There was hardly anything that we wanted to watch on the free channels.

If you can afford to pay an extortionate amount every month then its a great luxury to have but I bet there aren't many subscribers out there who actually think its value for money.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Priyank.A Gallery 10
L Clio General Chat 12
Chris General Chat 13
Yiannis197 Site Traders 9
F General Chat 17