Side Air Vents

When giving my car a clean the other day, I had a good look around the wheel arch and vent area.

Now, I was under the impression that the vents were there to extract air from the wheel arches or something, yet I swear there are no holes and they are totally blocked by the arch liners?!

Are they all like this?

LOL I remember when I said I was going to take my arch liners out and everyone was lik "oh no your arch vents wont work" They didnt belive me when I said they dont vent thru the liner!! :lol:

Settles that one then lol! Funny though as I read in a few reviews before buying mine that they were there to extract the hot air from around the brakes/wheels, so I assumed they'd have holes behind them...

Don't know about you guys, but mine vents are "working" - i can feel the hot air coming out the vents when I stop after a race. :mrgreen:

I tested this last night, had been driving for about an hour and when I got home I could feel heat coming out through them - so god knows where the holes are?

Take your wing off.. your in for a surprise!! haha.

It's full of foam.. like the stuff behind the bumpers for impact protection..
I don't think there's anywhere the air can get through..

Foam! Wtf lol, take your word for it as I wouldn't even know where to start in getting the wings off! Why would that be in there though, same reason as for the bumpers?

They vent hot air from the engine bay, theres a nice little illustration of it on renaultsaports website somewhere.

Mine defo work too, put your arm out the window down the side of the door next time your moving, you'll feel the warm air.

Whilst we're on the note, has anyones vents been pushed into the wing? ( i.e not sitting flush )

the vents suck the hot air from the engine bay, you can see the holes through which the hot air gets out of the engine bay if you take off the air filter housing, then you can see how the hot air travels outside, and the foam someone earlier was talking about is to soundproof the wheel arch area, so you get less noise out of the front suspension, its wrapped in black vinyl.

them vents DO work ! no doubt about it,

ben_r1 said:
They vent hot air from the engine bay, theres a nice little illustration of it...

Clio_Aero.jpg

Extractor vents for optimized performance
The front wing extractor vents also have an aerodynamic function by reducing turbulence to optimize the car’s drag coefficient. The extractor vents facilitate both the flow and hot air from under the bonnet. At the same time, the vents direct air flow along the sides of the car to further enhance performance.

Would be good to see a photo of the inside! Although I did see some wires of some sort when I looked through the gaps and sort of up into the engine bay..

Sorry for dragging this up, I am considering using one of these vents holes for a new intake system to draw clean/cold air into the intake, nice and far away from the engine bay, i will get a wing off and get some images and post them up, it may not even be viable when it comes to pieces but we have to consider all avenues eh. I would prefer tomake use of standard holes/areas on the car than creating new, for obvious aesthetic reasons.

I was also thinking of ducting air from underneath the car, when we produce our splitter and undertray, this would more than likely be a naca ducht opening feeding the bottom of the airbox.

All food for thought

Sounds interesting, I can see big problems with an intake under the car though, what about driving through floods?