should these be replaced as part of service..

aaron-rs197

Paid Member
car is booked in for 36k service and cam belt change with renaultsport independant in a few weeks time. i mentioned water pump when asking for quote but the guy said i shouldnt worry about getting it changed as they are quite solid units. as time went on i notice more and more ebay listings, forum threads etc of people saying they had water pumps and dephaser pulleys changed at the same time as cam belt change. Is this something i should seriously consider or are these parts more in the 'dont fix if it if it aint broken' category?

thanks

aaron

Best to get the water pump done at the same time. The teeth on the pump can wear, so when you put the new cambelt on, the worn water pump can damage the new cambelt. for like 150 quid extra its best to do as the cambelt has to come off anyway if you change the pump.

While you're in that far, you may aswell get the water pump done too. Last thing you want is the water pump to fail and have to replace it and the belts again.

Water pump should cost no more than £60-£70 extra. It's about 5 minutes labour whilst the belt is already off, so should only cost you the price of the pump really.

Every knowledgable Renaultsport Tech I've spoken to (RStuning, Diamond and DDC) have all said the same thing; that the water pump is actually the weakest part, and that you should always replace them. The dephaser is optional, most will check it over while they're there. It is beneficial to replace it while you've got it all stripped down, but not unless it's worn.