197: She's testing me

I have owned my 197 for around 8/9 months now and ill be honest i love it. For all of her imperfections, she is a unique and fantastic car.

Problem is she is looking to hit the wallet quite hard this month, she's due a cambelt change (well If I'm honest she's overdue) and i was thinking on giving her a service as well so shes all freshened up.

Then last sat i find the paint and lacquer peeling on the bonnet which is looking to cost me upwards of 300 notes. (courtesy of a small stone chip)

To top it all off i came out this morning to a flat on one of my newly purchased front tyres (around 2 months ago).

This is a real test now and i have to choose whether i poor alot of money in to get her back to a reasonable shape or i cut my loses, get the paint done and then get rid :worried:. What do you guys think?

If you sell you'll still have to take off the cambelt service money otherwise it wont sell.

Punctures can be replaced as long as its in an acceptable spot.

I'd splash the cash and keep her. Gone are the days were you'll get a good price for MK3s now.

So, you're considering selling up because of a flat tyre and a stone chip? Seems a bit OTT to me!

The cambelt is just general service costs, a puncture could happen to any car and the paint lacquer is just bad luck.

Keep it, drive it, have fun!

How old/ how many miles is on the car. Check with Renault as belts are 6 years/72k. Might not need doing just yet.

IMAG0258_zps85facfdf.jpg

Probably best not to raise this argument again!

Some 197's are showing 6 years, most however are 5. All 200's have a 6 year schedule.

Even Renault are confused if you read some peoples posts!

It'll never stop testing you, very much a car you fall in and out of live with sometimes several times a week/day.

Probably best not to raise this argument again!

Some 197's are showing 6 years, most however are 5. All 200's have a 6 year schedule.

Even Renault are confused if you read some peoples posts!

Who's arguing? Just trying to help the guy out with his costs. If he's a bit tight on funds, no point bringing a service forward if it doesn't need it.

I don't think Renault are confused? From what I've read it's the Renault garages saying 6 years and other garages still saying 5.

Anyway, save it for the cambelt thread :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have come to terms with it and decided.....to keep her :smiley:

I have seen some of the cambelt servicing threads but mine is 06 with 53k, I think I need to get it done. Scraped some cash together and pay day in 2 days and the rest is going on the credit card (Dangerous times). Although I think I will go the distance now and just freshen her up every couple of months with a change (Long Live the Clio!)

I'll get the cambelt done, get the bonnet sprayed. Maybe pop down Midlands car care in a couple of months and get a detail. Then a few mods, sprint spoiler, 200 renault look exhaust tips and I have been playing with the idea of a personlised number plate (all in the not too distant future).

Thanks everyone again, it just takes a few like minded people to push you back into the driver seat :thumbup1: