Service schedule..

My car is due its 4th service now so i emailed fred at btm and he tells me that i need the aux belt doing? is this right? I was under the impression this wasnt until later on?
Any help would be great..

thats what i thought, i wasnt saying he didnt know, as alot of people talk very highly of him but according to the book.....

its rare the aux tensioner lasts past 3-4 years before it becomes noisy from my experience, and due to the crap design of it the belt does get worn (have a look, you'll see a nice line down the middle of the belt)

the aux kit isnt expensive and its a simple 1 hour job to replace it

"according to the book" - yeah but this is renault, they reckon you only need to change the oil every 12K, (on all RS cars) yet i do 2 dephaser pulleys a week which is caused by lack of oil changes, F4R engines are every 6K without fail :wink:

yes the cambelt is due at 5years, but if you have the aux kit replaced at 3 years whats the big deal? it can be replace seperate to the cambelt and doesnt neccesarily HAVE to be done with cambelt

cheers for clearing that up Fred, i was just getting different answers so i was just looking for peoples opinions. Can i ask how much it is to do the aux belt?

its rare the aux tensioner lasts past 3-4 years before it becomes noisy from my experience, and due to the crap design of it the belt does get worn (have a look, you'll see a nice line down the middle of the belt)

"according to the book" - yeah but this is renault, they reckon you only need to change the oil every 12K, (on all RS cars) yet i do 2 dephaser pulleys a week which is caused by lack of oil changes, F4R engines are every 6K without fail :wink:

yes the cambelt is due at 5years, but if you have the aux kit replaced at 3 years whats the big deal? it can be replace seperate to the cambelt and doesnt neccesarily HAVE to be done with cambelt

good to hear your extra experience on the cars

just the op said 4th service so assumed 4th year and just think it would be better and more cost effective to change both at the same time ie 5yrs

Hmmm interesting, went to Renault last week to book a service as my Clio 200 is now a year old, and I was asked how many miles it's done, which is 8000ish, I was then told it did,nt need a service till 12000 miles, so I thought fair enough I'll get it serviced when it's done 12000 miles.
But after reading this I will be getting it serviced in the week now. :thumbsup:

:driveby:

good to hear your extra experience on the cars

just the op said 4th service so assumed 4th year and just think it would be better and more cost effective to change both at the same time ie 5yrs

well it should've been inspected/advise/replaced at 3 yrs/36k, think the OP has misunderstood me

4th service is just a minor A

12k - A
24K - A
36K - B
48K - A
60K - A
72K - C

/QUOTE]the aux kit isnt expensive and its a simple 1 hour job to replace it

whats the cost for this Fred
cheers

I had my 4 year service yesterday at Mark Fish Motorsport and he said the same thing, he normally does aux belt at 4 years as they're prone to going early on the 172/182.

But, as I only do about 8k miles/year he said it looked in good condition and should last until next service. I'd say if Fred says it needs doing then best do it.

Is the cambelt at 5years then? Didnt have my aux belt done at 4 years, but it will be done on my 5th year service!

Yea book says cambelt and aux belt at 5 years. I think its also due at 72k if that comes before 5 years