Second Hand Key Fob Reprogramming - 2012 Clio RS200

I lost one of my keys and though of having another one just in case. However, I purchased from a UK ebay seller a second hand Clio key fob. Before paying for it, I asked the seller if the key can be reprogrammed to my car, he said yes it can be and told me that he sold many used keys without complains.

I went to the dealer but they told me it's not possible to reprogram a used key, so they asked me to order a new one from them and get it reprogrammed by them. I don't know if it's true or they just want me to buy from them.

Could anybody advise if the second hand key can be reprogrammed? and how?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread, best to bump this one....I only have one key, and would prefer another just in case..... Clio Rs200 ( 2009 ) Does anyone have a suggestion to the most cost effective way of doing it ?

When I got a new key (replaced under warranty) I know I was told they also reprogrammed the old one though it was for the same car. I now have 3 keys though the keyless doesn't work on one hence it was replaced.

When you order a new key for your car they have to put in the VIN number of the car, I was told that all keys that are ordered are locked to that VIN and when you go to program the key with CLIP it will only let you program the key if the VIN matches.

I have no idea if there is a way around it and I doubt you will get much help from a main dealer, might be worth contacting a company that offers programming of keys and see what they say.

Not much use to you I know but my mate (a mechanic with his own garage) can supply and code a new key for £85, . I'm sure there will be someone similar closer to you. He wasn't sure if you could recode an old one when I asked him today.