Running in a new car...

Is it necessary?

What difference does it make if you take it easy for 600 miles, rather than just driving normal with the odd blast?

:bounce1:

I don't think so. I picked my 200 up 3 weeks ago and I drive as I normally would. I stretch it's legs at any opportunity and that included the drive home from collecting it. I'm on 900 miles and the engine is feeling healthier.

End of the day, I have warranty.

I think its down to personal choice, Im a bit like driving miss daisy lol but when its safe to do so and within the speed limit of course I put my foot down :wink:

My cars got 1500 miles on it in 5 weeks but still feels tight :tongueout:

Lots of schools of thought on this, comes down to what you think is best.

My thoughts - 600 miles is nothing, it's pointless, the car has been run on the bench/production line/storage compounds/delivery etc etc for many hours already.

So, as soon as the oil was hot, I battered it and have continued to do so since. It had less than 600 miles on it when it did its first track day at Snetterton. Has just over 2k on it now and is already feeling much better, uses no oil and is returning unusually high MPG considering what it is.

People talk about these engines really loosening up around 20k - I'm not waiting that long!!

Mechanical sympathy is a must, ensure everything is up to operating temps before you give it billy balls. There's no harm in thrashing it, but there's also no point in causing undue damage by being careless.

^ I agree.

When I get my car I'll probably give it the 600 miles as per book (just in case the ECU logs rpm/miles if I'm in a warranty situation)... then after that, I'll drive it for what it was built - thrashing!

It's interesting how there so much varience on MPG and RR results with these engines... they do tend to take an age to loosen up. I read somewhere that renaultsport designed the engine to do 200,000 miles!

Rich

Once I seen the long straight at the import center I realised it's probably had a good limiter bashing already.

i'm hoping no ones done mine in when i go get it.
i'm specificied not to wash it whatsoever, at all, or do any other kind of valeting done on it.
i just want to do it myself so i know what has been done to it. as i know i won't be using a sponge i've just dropped on the floor!!

Regarding run-in there are few different schools of thought -the current main two are: thrash it from new, or run it in gently and there are many different pro's and cons to this. But performance bike did a large review of each method and found the ones thrashed from the off made the most power, but had lower torque and consumed more oil. -the ones that were run in gently made less power but more torque and consumed less oil. -but worth noting is that the differences were circa 2bhp and 2.5lb/ft (at the fly) -so to sumarise it doesn't make a blind bit of difference lol (I hate motorbikes anyway :tongueout:)

Dyno day anyone?

-Andy

Alot of modern engines bed in almost instantly due to the change in matterials and production methods, The engines are run in the factories to check that they are within tolerance etc and modern machining means that the engines are ready from the get go, aslong as the fluids are good and up to temp just abuse it.

i'm hoping no ones done mine in when i go get it.
i'm specificied not to wash it whatsoever, at all, or do any other kind of valeting done on it.
i just want to do it myself so i know what has been done to it. as i know i won't be using a sponge i've just dropped on the floor!!

+1 ... I dont want them touching my car, as most leave it in a worse condition. Ive got mine booked into a detailer and ill be doing some detailing on it myself also to ensure the paint is well protected.

LOL at most saying theres not much point. I was pretty gutted when I found out about the run in period. Ive got 170miles to do on the way home, so was hoping that when i joined the M1, I could give it a bit of beans in 2nd/3rd to see what it was like. :wink:

We ran ours in "by the book". However, have now done 6 trackdays in her and shes running like a beaut!

Changed the oil after the first trackday and the fifth. Due its first year service in 2500 miles.

Last edited:
do what the book says. They wouldnt put it in there for no reason. it's not just to run the engine other parts on the car will need breaking in as well I'm sure.

Factories do not run engines in on the production line! It makes no sence for them to! The cost and time implications of doing that make no sence what so ever from a business/efficiency point of view. They will test them for a few miles (not redlined or thrashed) and then the engines will be on their way. A mate of mine is an engineer and built engines (admittedly big diesel ones) and said there is no way this will happen. Watched a programme on the discovery channel about them building camaros and they do as per what my mate told me aka not running them in in the factory.

I have the RS monitor on mine so my method is:

1. Reach optimum oil temp (anyone know this? 90C?)
2. Use 3rd gear and go to just over 6k rpm using heavy throttle
3. Cruise back down to 2.5k rpm
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for few more times
5. Drive it gently for a while (no full throttle and limiter with varying rpm)

I have already looked on the map and there is a nice long stretch of dual carrigeway 2 miles from the dealer. It is also good that my journey back is on quiet dual and A roads.

Is there a transport mode on these cars that limit revs?

When i bought my CTR new after 8 miles i was hitting the v-tec and bouncing it of the rev limiter, I didn't care as i had a warranty, When the car was at 10k i had a race with another ctr and easily pulled away from it and both cars were standard, If i was getting a forge engine rebuild tho i'd defo run it in properly,

I'm not suggesting they're "run in" on the line, but through the process of build to delivery, they'll have been running for several hours.

A valid point has been made about "the rest of the car needing running in", the brakes for example will be shocking until bedded in.

ado, there's a warm up mode that limits revs until up to temp - probably the same protects during production/delivery.

Factories do not run engines in on the production line! It makes no sence for them to!

some factories do, seen it first hand at Nissan Sunderland. But it makes perfect sense to test the car. Take it up to top speed and thats it. Only does about 2 or 3 miles. Why you wont get one with 0 deliver miles. When the car gets to the end of the production line the car gets abused. Doors slammed like nothing ive seen before. Thought the glass was gonna come out of it, really putting the works into into a good few times to make sure everything is fine. Cant say if Renault do this, havent visited there factory.

do what the book says. They wouldnt put it in there for no reason. it's not just to run the engine other parts on the car will need breaking in as well I'm sure.

Factories do not run engines in on the production line! It makes no sence for them to! The cost and time implications of doing that make no sence what so ever from a business/efficiency point of view. They will test them for a few miles (not redlined or thrashed) and then the engines will be on their way. A mate of mine is an engineer and built engines (admittedly big diesel ones) and said there is no way this will happen. Watched a programme on the discovery channel about them building camaros and they do as per what my mate told me aka not running them in in the factory.

I never said they ran them in i just said that they were 'run within' the factory lol! Like i said though its more to do with modern machining processes than anything else that reduces the need for a running in period.

Does Nissan test all cars though? Every manufacturer would do an audit to make sure the cars are upto quality.

I do wonder if they thrash the cars at the port considering they drive loads of cars everyday. I also wonder is there also any company policy regarding this?

Massive holding grounds like small towns and people being paid minimum wage to move cars about... mundane, mundane, mundane, oh - a quick one.

What could possibly go wrong?

I see your point. I have no idea what it is like but just wondered whether the logistic company are given restrictions (Wallenius Wilhelmsen?).

Doesn't actually bother me too much whether they thrash it or not. If it needs a new engine it would most probably be due to me selecting a wrong gear. lol