Running in a new car...

I ran my old 1.2 Clio in and it never used any oil at all. It felt quite quick for a 1.2 too! But my 197 had 13800k on the clock when I had it, so I have no idea if it was run in or not. I would do the same as I did with my 1.2 again though, by the handbook. The dealer has no come back then if anything were to happen.

Performance seems to vary from engine to engine anyway from what I have seen on here after people have done rolling roads, so I would just run it in. It soon goes quick enough!

I ran mine in religiously for 750 miles and then prgressively picked the revs up over the next 300 miles, and then eventually gave it some.

It recorded 194.3bhp on the dynos standard.....

took it easy on drive home from Dealers then just drove as normal.

Mind you Aylesbury to Aberdeen was some drive home :smile:

I have the RS monitor on mine so my method is:

1. Reach optimum oil temp (anyone know this? 90C?)
2. Use 3rd gear and go to just over 6k rpm using heavy throttle
3. Cruise back down to 2.5k rpm
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for few more times
5. Drive it gently for a while (no full throttle and limiter with varying rpm)

I have already looked on the map and there is a nice long stretch of dual carrigeway 2 miles from the dealer. It is also good that my journey back is on quiet dual and A roads.

Is there a transport mode on these cars that limit revs?

Renault will of done this already, the heavy throttle pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls and forces them against the freshly honed bore.

The bore is very jagged (like a saw tooth)and the rings break the tips off as they pass...

When you let off (snap the throttle closed) and let engine speed drop this creates a vacuum and draws all this crap (oil, metal particles) out of the bores -when you go back on throttle you will see a puff of smoke

-this procedure is for "brand new" engines (just built) and the process is just to help bed rings ie first 20-30mins.

Hope this helps

-Andy

in my job built plenty of engines from cheap engines to £10k+ 13litre diesels.....and once built and put in to service they wouldnt get treated gently..........so i used to give them the full throttle bit from new!

never any issues!

just let them warm up then..blast off :bumpit:

modern machining and matching techniques means minimum running in time/period

one piece of advice - change the oil after the first 1000m :foxspeed:

Totally agree, crap oil will ruin an engine much much faster than anything else.

For the sake of what, £60 all in with a filter? Use an indipendant though, Maz, you really don't need the dealer for that. Get some oil & a filter and just go pay the local lads 1/2 hour's labour to drop it.

Totally agree, crap oil will ruin an engine much much faster than anything else.

For the sake of what, £60 all in with a filter? Use an indipendant though, Maz, you really don't need the dealer for that. Get some oil & a filter and just go pay the local lads 1/2 hour's labour to drop it.

What oil do Renault use out of interest?

I was using Fuchs Titan Supersyn (or whatever its called) in my old 172.

Renault will of done this already, the heavy throttle pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls and forces them against the freshly honed bore.

The bore is very jagged (like a saw tooth)and the rings break the tips off as they pass...

When you let off (snap the throttle closed) and let engine speed drop this creates a vacuum and draws all this crap (oil, metal particles) out of the bores -when you go back on throttle you will see a puff of smoke

-this procedure is for "brand new" engines (just built) and the process is just to help bed rings ie first 20-30mins.

Hope this helps

-Andy

I gathered Renault would have done this but I like to do it for fun. lol

I doubt I will notice the loss of a few hp. I'd cover it up with my driving god skills. :wink:

I'm still going to take it gently so the drivetrain can bed in properly.