RS ownership compulsory for forum members

Hi,
Just curious as to the members thoughts regarding whether RS ownership should be compulsory for members of the site/forum.
The reason i ask is i am an active member of the Australian RS site ozrenaultsport.com. The overwhelming majority of the members on the forum are good people but there are a very small number of members who do nothing but upset other members & these few don't even own an RS (they have sold their RS' & now own different makes).
I don't understand why people want to be on an RS forum when they don't own one (it's not a social website like facebook after all).
Australia has become so politically correct that you can't even raise a concern such as this without being shot down by the do-gooders, whereas on here you still seem allowed to raise such topics.
Anyway any thoughts from active or longer term members here?

I don't think that this is really necessary. I can't think of any occasions on this site where non 197 owners have caused offense to other members.

I understand your point....but the forum is used by people looking to buy, who own or have owned 197/200s. Joining up for any other reason is a bit weird and I don't think that anybody does that?

Just because you sell your 197 or 200 doesn't mean that you should simply leave the forum as I'm sure that many people have made many friends here.

We have a great moderating team here and if there are any issues, I'm sure that they will be dealt with :smile:

I don't think it should be compulsory.

I may be biased here as I own a non-sport mk3, but from my point of view it is a social site, you can meet people who share a common interest (cars) and I have found lots of useful tips and ideas that transfer across from the sports to the non-sports for example information on the headlight units.

I also find its not so much as the particular cars on here that make the site what it is, more the attitude towards other members, the willingness to give others help and advice on whatever their car is of the people themselves.

There are also people out there who are looking into buying a 197/200 that may want help or advise on the car and its common faults or niggles which the best place you can advise from, I feel, is from is the owners of those cars.

I am a member on this forum as much of the bodywork, lighting and styling side of things on my car shares some of the characteristics of the 197 so any advise I may need on this I'm sure someone on here can help, and I am also a member on the twingo133.net forum as my engine is identical to that of a twingo GT so any help I need engine wise comes from there.

This is the reason I feel that forums should be welcoming to everyone no matter what they drive :smile:

Sorry didn't mean it to go on for this long just wanted to share my thoughts ;-)

I understand your point....but the forum is used by people looking to buy, who own or have owned 197/200s. Joining up for any other reason is a bit weird and I don't think that anybody does that?
Does that mean I'm a bit weird? Lol ;-) I have stated my reasons for joining as a non-sport owner above :smile: hope you don think I'm too crazy haha

I don't currently own clio RS and never have but I own a twingo RS and joined up as 133.net and 197/200.net had joint stands, so I wanted to read here so I knew what people are like on here.

Plus there's alot of good information on here and some good reads to pass the day.

We pride ourselves on being a friendly forum regardless of which marque people own. We have a section for other RS models eg. Twingo 133 or Megane 250 and a general "Motors" section.

95% of members do own MK3 RS' and the other car stuff is generally kept in the correct sections. It's nice to have a little bit of variety but we are a MK3 RS forum thus 99% content is MK3 RS.

Thanks for the honest replies, that's why i asked.
All good points as to why ownership shouldn't be compulsory.
I am getting the feeling the problem is more with the mods & their lack of action towards these troublemakers, whether that be due to the ridiculous state of political correctness that exists over here or other personal reasons.
Such a shame you can't even raise genuine concerns such as this on the OZ site.
Thanks guys.

I don't currently own clio RS and never have but I own a twingo RS and joined up as 133.net and 197/200.net had joint stands, so I wanted to read here so I knew what people are like on here.

Plus there's alot of good information on here and some good reads to pass the day.

And the joint events such as the Charity rolling road day last December that was awesome and not to mention for a good cause, we had a mixture of RS clios, RS twingos, non sport variants of both,a RS megane, a Mazda 3 mps, a VW Polo and a Ford Ka turn up. In my eyes this highlights its not the cars that make the forum, its the members :smile:

We've had a few "troublemakers" as you'd put in, not too long ago. From time to time you get the odd one intent on "being a dick".

We (The staff) discuss, at length usually, how to deal with them. Generally no one person can just "ban" a member. Unless the offence is extreme.

Thanks for the honest replies, that's why i asked.
All good points as to why ownership shouldn't be compulsory.
I am getting the feeling the problem is more with the mods & their lack of action towards these troublemakers, whether that be due to the ridiculous state of political correctness that exists over here or other personal reasons.
Such a shame you can't even raise genuine concerns such as this on the OZ site.
Thanks guys.

That's ok :smile: glad we could help.

I do feel that despite not knowing first hand that what your concerns are about over in the Australian forum, it is more down to the admin staff and trouble maker controls that are/are not in place.

I think it's easy to overlook/forget what a sterling job the admin and moderator staff do on the forum to keep it a friendly and welcoming place to be, such as locking down posts that get out of hand quickly, or simply removing any posts that could be deemed a direct attack on someone else or even straying too far from the thread topic (if its fairly specific such as a direct question) then they steer everyone back on topic.

Credit to them they keep this place in top form!! :smile:

We've had a few "troublemakers" as you'd put in, not too long ago. From time to time you get the odd one intent on "being a dick".

We (The staff) discuss, at length usually, how to deal with them. Generally no one person can just "ban" a member. Unless the offence is extreme.

IIRC the last two to have caused problems have been non clio owners or at least never provided any proof when asked as to what cars they had.

It's a forum and shouldn't become a complete dictatorship (sure there's a better term but it escapes me).

While there's always a few trolls now and again, they're usually easy to spot and its nice to get the views of none or past owners to avoid us all just blowing smoke up our rears.

Life would be boring if everyone agreed, so I disagree as much as I can :smile:

To be honest a rule like this would make sense over on that 'other' forum.

But although RS Clios have left some people, the knowledge hasn't and those that stick around can still make useful contributions.