Rocas's Flame Red 220T (goodbye 201)

There was nothing remarkable with the car itself this month. However, I'm finally ready to present something that might be interesting for RS Monitor owners. While playing with it, I've found the Data Logger feature which looked promising at the first glance. The problem, though, that the format of the data is custom and the only way to see your data is to upload to RSReplay which is awful-ish and useless.
What I wanted is to be able to:
1. overlay the data on the video as I was doing with Racechrono above - but having more data like steering angle or brake pedal.
2. export this data to some common format, e.g., CircuitTools for analysis.

So, I started to dig into the file format out of curiosity. I've never reverse-engineered anything, as far as I can recall - but maybe there was something decades ago when I had my first 486 )
But, pretending that I still know how to write code, I've found an approach which made sense to me and developed a simple tool that will help me figuring out which bytes are responsible for which data.
There was some progress right away, but then I've been stuck with no ideas what to do next. Occasionally, a friend of mine(an RS owner too, but without the monitor) suggested a couple of ideas and then the picture started to appear...
Fast-forward to this date, after nights looking at the screen full of hex values, we do have the following:

We've been able to find and decode: Speed, Throttle, Brake, Steering, Gear, various temp sensors, GPS lat/lon(1Hz) and export these values into the input CSV of RaceRender to make the overlay above.

There are some plans around this solution. The most challenging for now is to figure out the accelerometer - I know where it is being logged, but have no idea how to interpret the values. Then, I'll work with other values(such as individual wheel speeds), boost, etc. After that I do plan to write export to .vbo format.

If there are another nerds around, I would appreciate any contributions: from sending me some logs of other RS cars to helping me figure out the data points I'm struggling with :smile:
Github link just in case: https://github.com/rocasspb/rsmonconverter

Last edited:
There seems to be not a lot of interest in RS Monitor data - still there is an update: we were able to gather everything from the logs. Here is the new sample video:

Last edited: