Road Tyres - F1 As 5 vs Michelin PS4

Goodyear F1 As 5 vs Michelin PS4

• Total voters
Hi guys,

This may have been brought up a thousand times and if it has then I'm sorry but I'm after some new road tyres (225/45/17) for my 197. I've read reviews and got it down to the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5s vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

Can we have a vote over which ones are best for the 197???

Best, PS4.
Value for money, Eagle F1s.

The F1s are not as good in the dry, but a lot cheaper and they are not crap at all, so much so I just had another set put on mine.
They also last a bit longer than the PS4s.

If you can afford the PS4s, definitely do it, if not you won't go wrong with the Eagle F1s.

Reactions: Mez
I’ve had Goodyear assy3’s and PS4.
PS4 the better tyre imo

There is a HUGE difference between the Assy 3 & 5's though.

I haven't had PS4's and Assy 5's on the same car, but I have the 5's on my current daily, and had the PS4's on my old Edition 30.

Personally I'd be happy with either for a road car. And would just go with whatever is the best deal at the time. If it's less than £50 for the set in difference, I'd probably go PS4. Any more than that, Assy 5 is a no brainer.

Reactions: Mez and suj
Yep I heard same about Assy 5s and just made a colleague get them, I have Assy 3s I should clarify.

But my comment is still valid, as I have driven the same car with both (two friends have 350z, near identical but one has PS4 other Assy 5s and a few mods that don't affect handling, more engine movement and looks) and I felt the PS4s better in the dry, but it wasn't night and day, so as person above said, they'll both be great, see what prices they fall into (if you are a member of Costco, they do great deals on both if you ring up and ask sometimes, guy at work used TyresOnTheDrive for his Assy 5, I used the same company for my Assy 3)

Costco have a deal on Goodyear just now. They usually alternate between Goodyear and Michelin.

So just now it's £330 fitted for the Assy 5's at Costco, in the standard 215/45/17 fitment. Comes down to £281 if you go for 225/45/17's.

Reactions: suj
If you go through eBay at the moment you can get 4 x Michelin PS4 for £291.04 (£72.76 each) in standard 215/45/17 fitment

or Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5 for £215.49 (£53.87 each) in standard 215/45/17 fitment.

That's on the MyTyres ebay with code: PLENTIFUL

Obviously there's fitting on top but can't see a garage charging much and that's the best price I've seen for a long time

If you go through eBay at the moment you can get 4 x Michelin PS4 for £291.04 (£72.76 each) in standard 215/45/17 fitment

or Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5 for £215.49 (£53.87 each) in standard 215/45/17 fitment.

That's on the MyTyres ebay with code: PLENTIFUL

Obviously there's fitting on top but can't see a garage charging much and that's the best price I've seen for a long time

Ooft. That is cheap. Almost worth just buying a set now in preparation for when I need them, ha ha.

Ooft. That is cheap. Almost worth just buying a set now in preparation for when I need them, ha ha.

That's what I've just done, all of mine have only got 2/3k miles left on them and at that price I'll just put them in the garage and pop them on after the New Year. Probably cheapest I've seen a set before, even if you add £10 a tyre for fitting.

I've literally just had this dispute with myself as of last week, but ended up going for neither and got AD08r's instead even though english winter is nearly well and truly here up in norther england :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I'm sticking with PS4s for now. I ran GY Eagle F1s for a couple of years and found they wore quicker, despite doing more mileage on the PS4s. I didn't notice any difference in grip but haven't ever been on track, so can't say I've often explored the limits of both tyres.

I'm sticking with PS4s for now. I ran GY Eagle F1s for a couple of years and found they wore much quicker, despite doing more mileage on the PS4s. I didn't notice any difference in grip but haven't ever been on track, so can't say I've often explored the limits of both tyres.

I did also find the wear rate on the Asy 3's to be faster than I'd hoped for. But, I have had the Assy 5's on now for about 11k. Car just went for a dealer service, so they checked the tread depths whilst in, so have a fairly decent idea on wear. 6mm on the front and 7mn on the rear. Probably rotate them in about 5k, but at this rate, they are doing MUCH better than the Assy 3's, and are at least on a par with PS4's on wear at least.