The Best Road Tyres

jamesgw200

Tory of the Month
Im coming to change all four of my tyres and ive searched the forum hight and low for the best all round road tyre for the clio 200/197
There seems to be no clear cut answer and most of the previous threads are very out of date.
I have continentals 5s on the front and 3s on the rear.
Good year eagle f1s get a good write up on here, but they normally get compared to the cs3s and not the cs5s
please leave your choice of road tyres. Budget is no option.

All round road tyre my vote would be F1's. Very capable in all weather, haven't let me down once.

Car previously had Conti 5's on and the Eagle F1's felt a little more comfortable on the road - handling and grip I couldn't tell any difference between the 2.

Unless you're specifically looking for dry weather performance or track days, it's hard to beat the F1's in price or performance.

I have Conti 5s on the front & 3s on the rear. Will be getting 5s for the rear when they wear out. Always seem to get good reviews & highly rated by Evo magazine. Done a wet & dry track day as well as using on road & no complaints at all.

I have eagle f1s on mine and they are decent. I'm still undecided whether to change them for ad08s for summer and run winters in the colder months...

Eagle F1 all round on mine and can highly recommend them. Very capable tyre and good in all weathers. Very good price too. I've been really impressed with them since I've had them on. Just road use, no track days.

I shall be doing all four corners soon, when I bought car earler this year ****e tyres on so wearing them out hopefully just before next summer, I had PS3 on my Evo 6 they were very good tyre

i too use Goodyear eagle f1s and over all they're a great tyre.. One issue i do have with them is the initial bite of the tyre.. They have incredibly soft side walls.. feels like jelly as you first turn in then they really grip up what's a strange feeling at first. I previously had Uniroyal Rainsport 3's which were a great tyre and the performance in the wet was unreal.

I echo Stubonez's comments about the side wall on the F1's. If you type in Eagle F1 (asymmetric 2) and soft side wall into google you will be confronted with a whole heap of forum talk about such a thing. What this means is that riding round town with the F1a2's the ride is really lovely, taught, controlled but with a bit of give and 'soakeyuppyness' when jiggling over our notoriously shoddy road infrastructure. The flip side to this is that some initial turn in sharpness is lost with maybe a hint more roll and a slightly vague feeling. They still grip exceptionally well though. The tyres that I would consider for the road would be the F1a2's and the Michelin Pilot supersports. The F1a2's being slightly more biased to comfort with the MSS being slightly more biased towards performance which includes a sidewall that I feel is more in keeping with the nature of the car, that being slightly harder and responsive but still with enough 'soakyuppyness' to maintain comfort. If you've got this far then my recommendation would be to find the best price for the MSS and put a set of them on. You're welcome :tongueout:

+1 for the michelin pilot super sport. a bit surprised they weren't mentioned earlier.