Road legal track pads

I'm going to be doing my first trackday in March and hopefully a few more after that this year and looking to get a new set of discs and pads on this month.

I'm pretty set on getting standard brembo discs but not sure on the pads.

I know everyone seems to talk about the DS2500's but I would like something road legal as I believe these aren't ECE R90 marked.

The only decent pads I've seen that are road legal are redstuff, DS performance, brembo P68036 and OEM.

How do the other pads stack up against OEM?

I'm just worried about brake fade when on track as there's some mention that about lots of fade and then others that say there isn't fade with OEM.

Any experience/recommendations would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

I've found carbotech very good (XP8 / XP10). Very hard wearing and good bite from cold on road. Great as an improved track pad. Some squeal during early use on road. Approx £200 a set.

Been thinking of xp10's/maybe xp8's. have you used them both on these cars, and is the xp10 worth it over the 8?

When and who would ever know?
The MOT is so quick and is only a brief look over compared to main land European tests.
Somethings I wouldn't risk, but a pad that is better performance than the OEM I'm happy to run.
I've had DS2500 for the last 2 pad changes

I suppose it is much better than having an underperforming pad! Just for insurance purposes I was questioning as it will also be my daily

Well I have been looking at yellowstuff and redstuff as I've heard good things about yellowstuff and read some good things about redstuff on the net

The MOT is so quick and is only a brief look over compared to main land European tests.
Somethings I wouldn't risk, but a pad that is better performance than the OEM I'm happy to run.
I've had DS2500 for the last 2 pad changes ����

Imagine you were involved in some sort of RTC where speed / braking distances were called into question (may not be your fault), i would imagine your brakes / tyres would come under scrutiny (aswell as others).

Also if someone fits track only pads to their car then have to brake heavily 500mtr from their house, when track specific pads often under perform from cold (potential for increasing braking distances), does that make it ok that your brake performance is under par just because they are better than OEM when hot ?

I suppose it is much better than having an underperforming pad! Just for insurance purposes I was questioning as it will also be my daily

Well I have been looking at yellowstuff and redstuff as I've heard good things about yellowstuff and read some good things about redstuff on the net

Yellowstuff are decent pads, plus ECE R 90 rated. However as its your first trackdday, i would be tempted to fit OEM Brembo pads (can be had for £30) and take it from there, the brakes are very good in OEM form. Easy to replace later without spending £120+ upfront.

I've had DS2500 for the last 2 pad changes

The reason that most track pads are not road legal is because they don't work so well at cooler temps. They are designed to perform in high heat situations. So, they are actually a more dangerous pad on the road, so no....for road, OEM is best.

Yellowstuff are decent pads, plus ECE R 90 rated. However as its your first trackdday, i would be tempted to fit OEM Brembo pads (can be had for £30) and take it from there, the brakes are very good in OEM form. Easy to replace later without spending £120+ upfront.

See I emailed EBC and they said this specific model for the 197 is not R90 rated, also had this confirmed by some of the retailers hence the reason I was looking at redstuff.

Also the OEM ones, I was under the impression there are 2 types of Brembos, the £30 ones which are brembo and the £100ish genuine Renault ones which are Brembo but actually rebranded Ferodo pads which is why they are more expensive. I'm sure I have read this somewhere on the forum, can anyone confirm this?

See I emailed EBC and they said this specific model for the 197 is not R90 rated, also had this confirmed by some of the retailers hence the reason I was looking at redstuff.

Also the OEM ones, I was under the impression there are 2 types of Brembos, the £30 ones which are brembo and the £100ish genuine Renault ones which are Brembo but actually rebranded Ferodo pads which is why they are more expensive. I'm sure I have read this somewhere on the forum, can anyone confirm this?
Ah I see. There's nothing wrong with the £30 Brembo ones. The ferodo ones aren't going to be £70 better put it that way.

You can get a lot track pads that have cold bite. My
pagids put through window on 1st bite of wanted them
too ha

have your insurance said can't use track
pads? I can't see what issue is. Think worrying over nothing 2bh.

Only thing could do is just buy set for road and set for track. EBC are pants IMO,so I'd stay anyway from them.

Last edited:
You can get a lot track pads that have cold bite. My
pagids put through window on 1st bite of wanted them
too ha

have your insurance said can't use track
pads? I can't see what issue is. Think worrying over nothing 2bh.

Only thing could do is just buy set for road and set for track. EBC are pants IMO,so I'd stay anyway from them.

Hmmmm usual EBC bashing :wink:........ I've been through 2 sets of Yellowstuff on the Clio now (and 1 set on a lardy MKV Golf) and they are great, good enough from cold on the road and resist fade very well on the track. And anyone having been on track with me will confirm they get a hammering! For the money a total bargain.

The suggestion of M1144's on the last page, those won't take half decent track abuse. I got terrible fade with them (on my 850KG Rallye), they fell off the backing plate when I took them off! Ironically that's what people always blame EBC for doing :wink:

I'd be interested in trying the Carbotechs mentioned, seem to get similar reviews to CL's but none of the corrosive problems with the dust - ideal for a lazy **** like me.
Otherwise Pagid's as mentioned above that Chris uses I think(?), or some DS1.11 seem to be a well reviewed pad on these too.

I paid the same for both IIRC

no not money lol, obviously it's a pad designed to operate in a higher temp window - so I meant if the xp8's were more than adequate for hard track use on the Clio then no need to go 10's? Or conversely are 10's needed to resist fade if maybe the 8's aren't man enough?

cheers

Hmmmm usual EBC bashing :wink:........ I've been through 2 sets of Yellowstuff on the Clio now (and 1 set on a lardy MKV Golf) and they are great, good enough from cold on the road and resist fade very well on the track. And anyone having been on track with me will confirm they get a hammering! For the money a total bargain.

The suggestion of M1144's on the last page, those won't take half decent track abuse. I got terrible fade with them (on my 850KG Rallye), they fell off the backing plate when I took them off! Ironically that's what people always blame EBC for doing :wink:

I'd be interested in trying the Carbotechs mentioned, seem to get similar reviews to CL's but none of the corrosive problems with the dust - ideal for a lazy **** like me.
Otherwise Pagid's as mentioned above that Chris uses I think(?), or some DS1.11 seem to be a well reviewed pad on these too.

EBC - each to their own :wink:

i ran mintex 1144 in my fiesta ST , ( all could get at the time) and they were fine round donnington. Quite impressed that brakes didn't let me down. expected them to be a very weak point 2bh

only issue with Pagid is they don't come cheap. Beable buy ds2500 and set standards for less

Last edited:
I took my old ST around Bedford once, I know I changed the fluid but I think I ran stock pads, but just kept the sessions short. I think at the time it was still owned by the ex so I wasn't going 10/10th but still had that going round on 3 wheels at a fair lick! Point being I don't recall fade on those pads and I guess it's a valid point to also factor in how long you want to stay out for too when choosing pads, and scale accordingly to expected temps.

Similar Thread Suggestions