Retro fitting xenons

MissMagpiev6

Paid Member
Yo guys, Im really struggeling to find a good 197 that isn't in black with xenons. Can xenons be fitted to one without?

I know on the 1*2's its plug & play, just wondering if its the same for these & if so how much are a set of them?

cheers

I think for Xenons to pass an MOT they need to have washers built into the bumper which will make retrofitting a pain in the arse.

You can retro fit HIDs. But you need the right lights to start off with.

I didn't think you could retro fit xenons. Different loom? No rear balance etc.

A far as i know you can retro fit xenons.

if fitted by the manufacture they need to have washers but if they are after market then i believe they don't have to have washers, it make no sense i know.

i think to get them to work you would need the full head light unit as its more than just the bulb that is different, i believe it is also the the lens.

However i think you will need to have the UCH reprogrammed to accept a discharge bulb or buy and fit inline HID anti-flicker decoders to each headlight to stop flicker or the bulb going out.

Yea you should be able to retro fit them no probs and like said dont worry about MOT if the Xenos and washers are fitted as standard then its part of the MOT same applies for the auto levelling. if they are retro fitted you dont need washers or auto levelling.

Last edited:
Just buy some Halogen projector clusters. These look the same as the xenon units...... the only difference between them is bulb fitment. H1 for the dipped beam halogen, D2S for the Xenons

DSC01588.jpg

Then i retro fitted a HID kit, and added the full washer kit from Renault.

DSC01688.jpg

So from the outside it looked Xenon equipped. Personally just fit the clusters, forget the washers as I presume its the black units look you want?

Last edited:
Hard no, expensive yes

Already had the black clusters, but to add washers you need

New bottle
New pump
New filler neck
x2 Nozzles
x2 Clips
Bit of hose

The bottle and new neck was around £100 iirc. The other bits were ok. Wiring etc was already there on mine. Not sure if that would be the case on the non cornering lamped cars with Silver clusters

Yep, you need washers and levelers now, even on aftermarket kits. But, having said that mine passed the MOT fine this year even though the new law was in force...

The acctual headlights are the least of your worries. Ive just been sorting mine.

To go with the headlamps there is a headlamp ecu under the passenger wing to control them , then obviously the bumper washer ( yes maybe a friendly mot may pass it ) but then you have the auto leveling on front and rear axel. It gets very expensive

rick

Cossierick, an HID anti flicker kit to each cluster should remove the need to reprogram the UCH.

Shame they have changed the MOT rules. AGAIN!

I got mine fitted for 100, the kit and then labour to take off bumper and plug them all in.

no washer jets on my 197.

I was at the meet tonight, no one else had the same setup, I d like the look of the xenon clusters but for the price I will stick with what I have now.

works fine for me

I got mine fitted for 100, the kit and then labour to take off bumper and plug them all in.

no washer jets on my 197.

I was at the meet tonight, no one else had the same setup, I d like the look of the xenon clusters but for the price I will stick with what I have now.

works fine for me

you running projectors or standard headlight. HIDs in stanard headlight are dangerous for other road users has they blind on coming drivers, thats why they have to use projectors to break up the beam pattern

You don't need projector lamps to use HID's
My 2.2 civic had the factory option of HID's and the light housing is the same as the normal lights. You just have to buy the correct bulbs for non projector housing.

I had the car quite some time ago but it was something like
H1 with projector housing
H1-R without projector housing.

you running projectors or standard headlight. HIDs in stanard headlight are dangerous for other road users has they blind on coming drivers, thats why they have to use projectors to break up the beam pattern

Yea have the bulbs in the standard light's. The guys said they were not too bad following them to the london meet last night

How much does it cost and where do you get the projector housings from. They look much better than the normal clusters I have. I have only just got my 197, turned the lights on and the previous owner must have installed HID's but would like the full kit if anyone has it for sale

You can get the projector housings from Karl for ~£250 I think.

To be honest halogens in the reflector units are pretty good as it goes, HIDs are better though