Retro fitting recaros

Steve Murr

Paid Member
I know at some point in the future I will end up with a 200 with the standard 200 Seats-

Ive been offered a few already, however I like having the recaros to add to the appeal-

If I simply bolted in the recaros what would I then need to do around airbag warning lights etc-

Steve

Doesnt that stop all features from working though? I mean sure it gets the light off your dash but does it also prevent the present features from working, ie seat airbags, seatbelt pretensioner?

Is it a "block the features missing from Recaros to get the light off" or "block everything regardless to get the lights off" affair?

Doesnt that stop all features from working though? I mean sure it gets the light off your dash but does it also prevent the present features from working, ie seat airbags, seatbelt pretensioner?

Is it a "block the features missing from Recaros to get the light off" or "block everything regardless to get the lights off" affair?

blocks nothing.....

its so when the system checks everytime you start up it "looks" for the airbag components - it either sends a signal/voltage down the wiring or looks for a return voltage/resistance - that way it knows everything is working and present the resistor "mimic" the missing anti-submarining seat air bags :thumbup1:

Cheers fox, not trying to be awkward just trying to get my head around it really as thats one of the reasons i didnt go down this route when i was trying to fit the Recaros to mine.

Ok so theres a resistor, and when the ECU does a check for the "anti-submarining" airbags which arent present on the Recaro, the plug sends back a response mimic'ing the "anti-submarining" airbags so the ECU doesnt display a dashboard light.

That i get. But my concern is lets say you have a crash, so the ECU sends the signal to the seat to deploy the side airbags. Wont the signal reach the plug, and the resistor will deploy a signal to the ECU saying "deployed" when infact its just been blocked by the plug and never made it to the Airbag module at all?

How does the plug know what to mimic (anti-submaring airbags), and what to allow (side airbags, seatbelt pretensioner) for example?

Cheers fox, not trying to be awkward just trying to get my head around it really as thats one of the reasons i didnt go down this route when i was trying to fit the Recaros to mine.

Ok so theres a resistor, and when the ECU does a check for the "anti-submarining" airbags which arent present on the Recaro, the plug sends back a response mimic'ing the "anti-submarining" airbags so the ECU doesnt display a dashboard light.

That i get. But my concern is lets say you have a crash, so the ECU sends the signal to the seat to deploy the side airbags. Wont the signal reach the plug, and the resistor will deploy a signal to the ECU saying "deployed" when infact its just been blocked by the plug and never made it to the Airbag module at all?

How does the plug know what to mimic (anti-submaring airbags), and what to allow (side airbags, seatbelt pretensioner) for example?

the airbags are wired up seperately iirc in a crash not all the bags will be fired as the airbag ecu knows how serve the crash is - so will selectively fire what it thinks it needs to

if it sends a voltage down to the resistor it will go nowhere as there isnt the airbag to fire - its only like the seats being fitted as standard - it will only trigger what is there

PA140006.jpg

Last edited:
thanks foxspeed-/all

So just a summary I can fit the seats-

Drive home- get my friend to put the resistors in & then reset the light-??

I picked up a spanking new set of 200 seats today for £950- over the moon

Steve

Or you can get some one with Clip/Diag tool to reconfigure it. Took 5 mins, no messing. Thats what i did with mine :smile:

Yes, the light comes on because the circuit for the missing airbags is broken, the resistors complete that circuit, so there is no fault and therefore no light.