Restoring my Clio 197

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum so hopefully my formatting etc is okay
IMG_20250925_183320-EDIT - Copy.jpg
I bought a 56 reg Clio 197 just over a year ago, and it had a fair few previous owners and 128k miles on the clock, some modifications and some scuffs, I bought it to compete in the BDCC autotests and autocross local to me, but long term actually wanted to restore it to OEM spec, with the aim that I would be able to use it as a daily driver when I have a little more money coming in. For now I'm using my daily 1.5 86hp diesel Megane for the BDCC autocross events.... Genuinely almost rolled thanks to it's slightly less than sporty suspension...


It had been hit whilst parked on the front right wing, damaging the point where the bumper bolts to the wing,
damaging the wheel arch so that and it started scrubbing, the ABS sensor failed, it has a rust bubble on the boot lid,
rusted out radiator crossmember (which I'm aware is common on these), mild oil leak that seemed to fix itself when I started driving it more often,
play in lower control arm bush, shot bearings on the front, lipped discs, failed centre screen, cracked gauge cluster, ripped in half and ziptied together exhaust hanger, suspicious map (more on that later), clutch drag, shattered ABS sensor plug, burst washer lines, slight dent in roof, snapped handbrake cable, squeeking steering bushes, failed height adjuster for the drivers seat, 1 of 4 bolt holes shattered on the right side headlight due to impact, self tapping screws holding the front right (damaged) side of the bumper together, and expected stuff like needing an oil change and tyres...

So why am I making this thread? Well most people I've spoken to see this and just say get rid of it, scrap it etc, so I thought I'd come to you guys as I imagine people here would have some creative ideas on how to save this fantastic car from what seems like an inevitable fate!

I have already replaced the bearings, slightly bodged the ABS sensor (I could only find left wheel sensors... even after searching for 3 months and being guaranteed it's the right part then it doesn't fit etc, so in the end I chose the correct sensor for the wrong side), required running the wire slightly differently, bought a set of MTEC grooved brakes and EBC yellowstuff pads, although I'm saving them from rust until it's roadworthy again, BUT over the last year, randomly it started drinking water (or maybe spilling it somewhere)... so there may be a headgasket in the works too...

Are you able to help me find affordable replacements for parts, as i.e. I would like to restore its ride height to stock, but springs can be ridiculous, do you guys recommend replacing the bushes that have perished with the softest powerflex poly bushes, as it's realistic I can get them pressed in and save over just getting new suspension arms, or will it be too crashy or other issues?

Also I'm trying to figure this out - it had a new box at 86k, but it seems to have slight resistance to go into gear when doing high rpm changes, more of a delay, but it's in every gear so unlikely to be the common 3-4 synchro, and heel-toe downshifting (NOT double de-clutching) makes it go into gear easier, which obviously shouldn't make work because the input shaft should be separated from the engine - how is the clutch drag likely happening / what should be done to fix it?

I also get an issue which is either to do with the aftermarket cone filter, or more likely the map it may or may not have, where if you hold the revs at about 2k, it can take more and more throttle to keep it there, the engine sounds more and more strained, as if it's running really rich/lean or the timing of spark or something is off (I'm not sure but sounds under load at least) then the check engine light starts flashing and if you release the throttle it fixes itself... Video attached



Also in the first 30s or so after startup before idle drops I get this strange noise


So any help with diag / finding parts would be fantastic, as I doubt this car is economically viable and most people would scrap it, and I'm going to do my best to save it.

For reference I have a budget of about 1.5k to spend over more than a month, could spend at most 1k right now I'd say, I'd love to get it ready for BDCC's next event on 1st Nov,
Experience wise I can do most things, not too sure about the gearbox if it needs taking apart but I'm happy to learn, I've rebuilt the bottom end on my Megane after hydrolocking it, done clutches, suspension components the lot, never rebuilt a top end or gearbox before though, and whilst I do have DDT4ALL and an adapter, I'm not too good with the programming side of things, and I don't have the software nor understanding required for investigating the map issue too much - I can add about 60-100 quid to the budget every week, and have about 10-12 hours of free time per week to work on it, priority right now is getting it ready for the 1st Nov autotest.


TL;DR
Any tips for finding parts (Autodoc etc just recommend standard Clio bits), any idea what's happening in the two attached videos, any idea about the clutch drag thing?
Also would it be sensible, given all this, to buy a breaker 197?

Any other advice welcome too! Thanks to anyone who's able to help!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sean197