Replacing front discs + pads - Calliper pins

Well, I decided to try and get these out myself.

Top one came out fairly easy (good whack)

bottom one just would NOT shift at all! Ended up just basically squashing the end flat!

What do I do now? buy new pins and cut the old ones out?

Anybody fancy bringing some tools to FCS and giving their old pal mike a hand? :smile:

Shortly after having my Clio I had it serviced, found one of the brakes had seized up and when it came to removing the caliper pins the guys had to drill them out as they were solid. Hopefully there's a better way to get them out. I would personally buy new pins

Si has the exact size punch I think.
The replacement kit is pretty expensive.

I don't mind buying new pins if they are needed. These just seem pretty damned stuck!

Thank goodness I've got the back done now and the front can wait.

Just a pain when you think it should be an easy job and turns out to be an arse!

Get the new ones from Mr.Pink. Much better than the OEM ones IMO, I've been running them for a while.

With mine, I soaked them in WD40 and brake cleaner and whacked them loads of times, I gave up, took it to a dealership a couple of days later and they came straight out! (bloody ****s made a fool of me) soaking them must've helped though, maybe give them another bash with a punch after soaking them mate.

I was tempted to do the WD40 soak but i cant really be without the car for enough days to do it properly.

Might have a crack next week when i'm off work if nobody at FCS (hint hint foxspeeeed) can sort me out :wink:

Really? How you gonna get the old ones off then? One came out with almost no bother at all!

I'll order some tomorrow.

I was tempted to do the WD40 soak but i cant really be without the car for enough days to do it properly.

Might have a crack next week when i'm off work if nobody at FCS (hint hint foxspeeeed) can sort me out :wink:

its not something to tackle at fcs....if something were to go wrong be bit of an issue!

sometimes hitting them "in" first helps - then a good whack from a 2lb hammer or more with the correct size punch and they will come out - its the steel collar on them that seizes in the caliper

its not something to tackle at fcs....if something were to go wrong be bit of an issue!

sometimes hitting them "in" first helps - then a good whack from a 2lb hammer or more with the correct size punch and they will come out - its the steel collar on them that seizes in the caliper

100% agree with what you are saying about the steel collar.

I'll leave them for now. The ends look a bit flattened but they aren't going anywhere :smile:

Cheers Si