Renault Warranty

bm147

Paid Member
Hello all,

Well I've had to take the car into Renault (London West) for what i deem to be warranty issues. They are as follows:

Suspension Knocking on drivers side
Clutch pedal squeeking
Drivers Side Door Sill has spilt

After going into the dealership and having a few problems initially and having to get my dad to pick me up they have phoned me back to tell me that none of the above are covered under warranty and there will be a £75 diagnostic charge!

When asked what they had found i was told the following:

Suspension Knocking - The mechanics have torqued up the nuts and bolts to the right torque but could not find anything else wrong...

Clutch Pedal Squeek - Needed lubrication...

Door Sill - Could not find anything wrong with the driverside door sil (There is a split from the bottom of the sil which stops halfway up...) BUT we have found something wrong with the passengers side door sil which we have fixed. But if the driverside door sil had split its down to wear and tear, now i know alot of you guys have had it replaced under warranty!

When i asked what was wrong with the passengers side door sil the guy didnt know and said the mechanic had now gone on holiday so they couldnt ask him!
I then asked about why the bolts may have come loose and they said well its just wear and tear and it happens. Surely this is not wear and tear?

Clutch pedal i can accept may be down to wear and tear but the car is not overly used and has not been tracked and i have not heard of too many instances of the clutch pedal squeeky!

I need a bit of advice really guys, where do i go, what do i do? I dont really want to pay them £75 as i dont really see what they have diagnosed as i told them what was wrong!

Bob

I had exactly the same experience, the difference being that they carried out the suspension knocking investigation without calling me. They returned the car after 2 days with no solution found, but a diagnostic charge of approx 50£ which I refused to pay

clutch pedal squeaking was lubricated for free

go speak to their manager and ask him to clarify how this is not considered warranty

shouldnt pay a thing mate, i had both my rubbers changed ( the one door closes on next to the rear quater window) the one was split the other was starting to, replaced no questions ask and that was after xmas, my warranty is up in march, so getting on 3 years old, the loose bolts, well i would be worried if they "come loose cause of wear and tear" again door seals shouldnt wear under 3 years old unless its been to the moon and back. is the car serviced regularly by vat approved garage, using renault parts.

Yes mate, Serviced by a garage that is VAT registered and all renault parts.

I just couldnt believe the fact that they say its all wear and tear. The cherry on top for me is that they were the last ones to have taken the suspension apart to replace a mount under warranty!

The car is only a '58' plate so only had the one service... Another reason why i think its unacceptable, its only a year old!

Don't bother arguing with dealers, I don't anymore. Just call Renault UK up and get them to put the idiots in their place. London West is part of Renault Retail Group, which is owned by Renault UK, so they won't stand for this shocking level of service.

What do the split rubbers look like?

I've just had two wheels refurbed under warranty - totally different colour to the back two it seems, but I need a good look in daylight to confirm.

The battle goes on... I do have a nice new steering wheel though, which seems totally different material to the old one!

For those who are interested I have just had a call back from RUK and here is what they said;

The clutch squeek was because the lubrication on the clutch had worn away and it happens as it is a moving part.
Obviously with the car only being 1 year old i replied sarcasticaly so i need to lubricate the clutch pedal every year!

The suspension knock was down to the bolts being torqued up and nothing else. The reason this is put down as wear and tear is apparently due to the 197 (Cup and Cup Packs) Suspensions being so stiff and rigid the bolts come loose and will need re-torquing up every so often!
Now I've never heard that and i dont know if anyone else here has heard that. Saying that though Renault London West were the last ones to have had the front drivers side suspension apart to replace a suspension mount!

They didnt really have much to say about the door sill apart from go in and show the dealer what you mean.

On the up side they did say they would cover the £75 diagnostic fee...

What do you think?

Sounds fair enough, but it ANNOYS the HELL out of me that they simply FAIL to acknowledge any common faults.

Recaro wear, wheel blistering, melting steering wheels, door seals - they are COMMON issues, yet they make out that your case is the first they have heard of it.

I'm about to give up on Renault tbh. Acknowledge the issues, fix them for free, and learn from it for future cars. Simple.

Exactly my point. But some of their excuses in my mind are just complete and utter Bulls**t!

russ what was the melting problem with your steering wheel, the reason i ask is on my steering the leather to left of the red centre line as come away in a short thin line.

Tell them to get ****ed!!

unless they advised you there would be this charge 1st then they have no leg to stand on!

**edit** seen that they waived this charge, which they should.

If its a "characteristic" of the suspension then its a load of shit too!! They should be fixing tha FOC until the 3 YEAR warrenty runs out!

Last edited:
Russ apparently they are told by Renault that they are not allowed to bad mouth the product they are selling, so some dealers would rather play it safe and deny the problem.

Don’t know how much truth is in it.

Ryan - the bit where you grip with your right hand was literally melting and clumping up, even though it's supposed to be 'leather'

What's interesting, is that even though there isn't a 'problem', the material on the replacement is COMPLETELY different. Just like the replacement Recaro's.

So there's no problem... but the new pieces are different. Hmm, ok.

I'mgoing to have fun getting these two refurbed wheels replaced. Why on earth would a Renault dealer refurb two of my wheels in a completely different colour to the originals?? LOL.

As Kev says, never pay for ANYTHING whilst your car is under warranty - cheeky buggers!

Ryan - the bit where you grip with your right hand was literally melting and clumping up, even though it's supposed to be 'leather'

What's interesting, is that even though there isn't a 'problem', the material on the replacement is COMPLETELY different. Just like the replacement Recaro's.

So there's no problem... but the new pieces are different. Hmm, ok.

I'mgoing to have fun getting these two refurbed wheels replaced. Why on earth would a Renault dealer refurb two of my wheels in a completely different colour to the originals?? LOL.

As Kev says, never pay for ANYTHING whilst your car is under warranty - cheeky buggers!

i will get a pic of mine, did they change the steering wheel easily enough or did they try to get out of it, was it wolvohampton renault

I'm taking my car in to renault Liverpool Monday, my steering wheel has melted on the right hand side and my spoiler has snapped and detached itself from the car had to stop at a motorway services and take it off was flapping up and down and has stripped half the paint off the boot :worried:.. I'm not taking no for a answer the cars under 2years old I'm not paying a penny to them!

You can't complain about Renault quality... because there is non!

Why on earth would a Renault dealer refurb two of my wheels in a completely different colour to the originals?? LOL.

when I had mine done, they got someone in to do it, didnt do it themselves :001_rolleyes: