Redline gearbox oil

Just wanted to recommend the redline gearbox oil as it changed mine today and the gearbox and shifts feel so much better! It actually feels like a normal gearbox now instead of every gear change notchy and feeling like it was breaking something, the old oil which I drained did look pretty mucky and also only 1.7 litres came out and it's meant to hold 2.1 litres so anyone that has never had it changed I would recommend getting it done! Also thanks to opie oils for the oil :smile:

Last edited:
Think I ordered it on Thursday and got it Monday so not to long! Would have been quicker if not over the weekend to.

Thanks for the advice. I've just bought my F1 R27 and have no real experience of the brand nor the 197 engine or transmission and the best things for the mechanical bits! That and as the people who buy these flyers don't use them just to go to church on a Sunday, I'd like to get it right.
Can you recommend a Redline engine oil for the R27. Cost not a problem. No track days but fast road use. Not high mileage.
would you change a new filter if other oil in the engine? Serviced by a tame engineer for a dealer so don't know the pedigree of the current lubricants.
Thanks for your advice and help.
Tom.

Since posting, have spoken to your sales Dept. And gone for 2 litres of the recommended gear oil and a gallon of the Redline 5-30 (rather than 5-40 as I don't use it for track work. Discount, too.
Triffic!

When you say you recommend Redline gearbox what brings you to recommending it? Have you changed your gearbox oil frequently and found that this works better or is this the first time you've changed it? I'm interested as I will be changing mine shortly

had some oil in the time i bought the car(dont remember what it was)..after that i had oem elf put in..(crap tbh) so a few months ago i had the redline stuff put in..so so much better gear change even from cold..u have to experience it,hard to explain..

I used Fuchs in my box, what a difference.

Still shyte when cold but when warmed up it's lovely and feels like a Kia gearbox (REALLY SMOOTH!) No notches or gear'y feeling you get.

Bought the car about a month ago and to be honest every gear change feels notchy and and sometimes grinds a tiny amount and I literally don't like changing gear because of it, I've changed the oil to the redline stuff and it feels much better, gear changes are now much smoother + only 1.7 litres came out from when renault filled it at the factory when it was made so even if you don't use the redline oil, change it anyway as it may be under filled

Opie Oils were certainly prompt. My Redline gearbox 75/80W (2 Litres) and engine 5-30W (1 gallon) arrived excellently packed.
just waiting for the KTec exhaust to arrive and will get the lot done together and report back. Had the engine-gearbox mounts from KTec fitted and the result is terrific. Also had the tracking, balance etc set up by Kwik-Save on their digital system and that has made a measurable difference, particularly having eradicated a tendency to pull under heavy braking. It was the o/s front having excess toe-in. Sorted and it pulls up straight. Less exciting that way! It also drives without wanting to visit the pavement.
Decided that it has to be a Cup spoiler to finish the job.

Hi folks,
went for the Redline gearbox and engine oils. I promise you, the change to the box was immediate and well worth it. Mine had a slight developing hesitation/ crunch on synchro into 3rd and 4th. It disappeared immediately. The changes became really clean and the whole box felt lighter. Well worth it to get rid of the black sludge that came out! As for the engine, it runs cooler. We shall see about longevity but the stuff that came out wasn't impressive after 6,000 miles!
Really well worth the trouble.

i used redline oil in my 197 when i was doing a few trackways and it feels much nicer than normal renault stuff.

My box seems a lot better now since I put redline in it a month ago, use to crunch when cold etc but has stopped doing it so much now and hopefully will keep getting better! Gear changes in general were much better straight after putting it in though.

Another vote for the Redline from me. I had it put in not long after I got my 197 and I was happy with the difference in shift. The box is still a bit awkward from cold, same as everyone else, but it is great when it's warmed up.

Thinking about getting some Redline stuff for my 200. Mine currently shifts fine (slight notchy when cold but nothing unusual), but I notice a slight gbox whine when warmed up esp off throttle. Is this normal?