Rear calipers binding

richandgem

Platinum Member
For a month or so now the rear near side caliper hasn't been releasing fully to the point where it's effecting performance and fuel economy.
The pads are nearly down to the metal, and the disks are about dead as well. Could the problem just be down to worn parts or could it be the caliper?
I've ordered new disks and pads but will I need to strip the caliper too?

If I were you, I'd check the seals. I did a rebuild last weekend and found that my offside rear caliper looked like this:

wyre2013021600912.jpg
wyre2013021600913.jpg

You can buy new seals and pistons from here: www.biggred.co.uk for not much.

Urgh, they look shagged Ross :worried:.

I suppose wether you have to strip the caliper depends on how knackered it is. I found that mine was sticking REALLY badly, I 'stripped' them (calliper off, pads out nothing major), cleaned them but couldn't wind it back (with a winding tool). But it did stop binding which was odd, so when it went in for a service the other week I had the professionals take a look at it and apparently it wound back fine. Maybe it did need a good clean, some force with the winder (by me, then them) and a bit of use to free it up :smile:

My rears had been sticking on when it had been raining and I thought it was because they needed a clean. When I saw that I thought that must be the reason, however I cleaned up all four calipers and now there's no more sticking. I'll be changing the seals, piston, rear disks and pads hopefully next weekend.

on the ones i have changed i have found that once the pads get well worn the calipers dont seem to work as well and sort of "seize" slightly accelerating wear etc

once the pads are changed and the pistons re-wound back in and then auto adjust not had any futher issues :thumbup1:

Not just mine then.....will look into this when I get a moment. Top thread and replies. Cheers all.

They've always done that thing of sticking when it rains, but normally you just pull off and they're fine. It's just recently you can feel them not releasing properly. It might just be because the pistons are near the end of their travel

Similar Thread Suggestions