Rear brake caliper windback Help please

Hi chaps, I thought that the rear brake caliper piston needed a left handed windback tool. This appears to be incorrect as mine is going back on a right handed rachet drive but only up to a point. Then just stays at 2.2 mm any ideas? And can someone confirm I'm wrong and it is right handed? Cheers.

Clockwise for both sides [emoji106]

Try removing the brake fluid cap or loosen the bleed nipple a little.

Thanks, removed the cap and loosened the nipple to let some fluid out. Been manually twisting it back and got to 3.9mm clearance now. Need 4.6 to get the Yellowstuff pads and Mtec disks in. I'm going to buy a right handed tool tomorrow and pick it up again... Flipping mare!

Would appreciate some more people's thoughts on this please. I've finished the job (so I thought) of getting the rear disks and pads on, well, on the offside as I could only do the near side pads as the cap over the wheel bearing doesn't want to budge at all....
Anyway, I assembled everything back nice and tight and when it was down attempted to test them. Bad news. The pedal has a heck of a lot of travel like a load of air has somehow got in. The handbrake just about bites however at the top of its travel. So tomorrow night I'll bleed the rears and attempt to shift the gas, just very confused how it got in there. Any ideas? Also is my theory of air inside the rear callipers plausible or should I be looking for something else? Would be great to here views/advice as I'm more than a little miffed with it all now and to make it worse I've got a deadline of Sunday morning euro tunnel and road trip around France!

If your worn discs and pads were very low then the piston has come out quite a large amount, so chances are they will need quite a bit of bleeding now they're back in the caliper more. Bleed the whole system, starting with the one furthest away from the servo.

Try a brake bleed in the morning, to rule out air in the system. Then check the cables are still attached to the handbrake cable, just under the centre console and youll see the two cables attached to the handbrake cable/bracket. I suspect one of the handbrake cables has come free and therefore the handbrake desont work effectively therefore the calliper hasnt self adjusted, which would explain the soft pedal. If you havent opened a bleed valve its unlikely you have air in the system IMO

Sucking eggs I know but once you wind the piston back in fully you will need to pump the brake pedal and ratchet the handbrake a few times to wind the piston back out to the pad.

As above tho you may have knocked the cable out of it's hook so it's no longer attached.

Thanks very much for all the comments chaps. I've now bled both rears with the 750ml of fluid I had left, there were plenty of bubbles and this has partially solved the issue. Will buy some more and do the fronts tonight. The handbrake is attached at both caliper ends and is "pulling" properly on both sides when i tighten it. However, only the passenger side is actually working so I assume this is something going wrong in the caliper as when I have the foot brake depressed it locks both rears fine.

Also managed to get the cap off the hub having purchased a stonemasons chisel, lol. Not teaching me to suck eggs at all Mentalpen as I've not done this before, only pad changes on the front of 206 GTi and fluid changes, so this has been a learning curve!

Ok another sucking eggs. You do have the handbrake off when doing the rears and the cable retracts back at the calliper?

They are known issue sticking requiring a cable.